Help: Trailer differences

A place to discus Convoy, Super Convoy, Matchbox Trucks and any other trucks that you collect
oblivious

Help: Trailer differences

Postby oblivious » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:01 am

I'm trying to understand the differences between some of the Convoy trailers,and I'm a little unclear in one case.

There appears to be a "Superstar" trailer and a "Transporter" trailer. The Transporter was used in earlier Convoys, such as CY-24-A, CY-36-A, CY-37-A and CY-38-A. The Superstar is used in later convoys, such as CY-104-A and B, CY-107-A, CY-109-A, CY-110-A and CY-113-A.

To my eye, without having specimens to examine, they look awfully similar. Are the they same? Or, if not, how to they differ? Is Superstar based on Transporter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean
BAMCA Webmaster
Dean Dierschow - dean at xocolatl dot com
Bay Area Matchbox Collectors Association
Webmaster

shockwavetrading

Re: Help: Trailer differences

Postby shockwavetrading » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 am

I thought Superstar ones where larger than the standard large box trailer.

oblivious

Postby oblivious » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Finally found the answer: The "transporter" has barn-door-style back doors, and the "superstar" has a ramp back door.

I can't tell if they are identical other than that, but it looks to me from pictures like they are.

Dean
Dean Dierschow - dean at xocolatl dot com
Bay Area Matchbox Collectors Association
Webmaster

chenly75

Postby chenly75 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 am

Well, I don't think the back doors are the major differences. They are actually two different type box trailer.
The "Transporter" is a box on a low bed trailer during Universal Era throughout the Tyco years. The earlist Transporter trailer might be CY19, the Peterbilt Ansett Wridgways Convoy. Its back doors are barn-door-style.

However, in the White Rose series, the back doors are sometimes altered to be one ramp. For instance, the 1992 PSU Kenworth Convoy. The rear door is a ramp. Note the CY# on the door is still CY19, while the whole semi truck is assigned as CY104.

In the early 2000s, Mattel continued to use "Transporter" in some premiere editions such as the History of Transportation Series around year 2000.

Hence, no matter how the doors are opened, they are all based on an 1981 "Low Bed Trailer".

As to the "Superstar" style, it only exists in the White Rose series and usually comes with two White Rose tractor - Kenworth T600 and Ford Aeromax 120, which do not have Matchbox MAN numbers. Examples are CY112 and CY113:

These early "Superstar" boxes are plastic on 1993 Low Bed Trailer during the White Rose years.
So to answer your question - the major differences are the trailer chasis - Transporter (1981), Superstar (1993). OK, you may think it is till hard to decide as a chasis picture of trailer is usually HTF. Yes, but there is another way to figure out - to see the fender. The "Transporter" is sharp, while the "Superstar" is rounded.

To complete my study report, here are some more pictures of the "Superstar," as they have some advanced metal boxes in 1997, which were once lisenced by Mattel. Later, Mattel and White Rose broke up.

And double box trailer with all metal.
www.52mbx.com | Matchbox Toys in China

CharlieMack

Postby CharlieMack » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:18 am

Every time the model got a different cab, the model got a new designation ie.

104 is a Kenworth, etc. The box style would remain the same regardless of door type.

charlie

Return to “Big Rigs (Convoy & more)”