Bert Beholds Big Rigs

A place to discus Convoy, Super Convoy, Matchbox Trucks and any other trucks that you collect
guy64

Re: Bert Beholds Big Rigs

Postby guy64 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:23 am

One last red-and-white corporate logo...

... on another unspecified maker.

This Kenworth tractor tooling gets around, although the body of this particular rendering is cast as one piece: no opening hood. Also, the headlight housings are more rectangular than the versions with separate hoods. The trailer tooling has been seen before on different wheels; it appears to be the same as that used for the Sea/Land trailer seen above. Yatming must've sold it--or did they go out of business?

The same trailer tooling was being used for a while by Mike's Train House (MTH), a maker of 0-gauge trains. They would put this type of trailer--which is a perfect 1/64 scale 40' van--on their cheaper line of 0-gauge flatcars. "Rail King" was the name of the model line. Usually the trailer would carry the name of a known railroad. (Their Union Pacific trailer was particularly colorful.) Naturally, these trailers look much better on an S-scale flat.

"I don't see any flatcars around here, kid."

Given that there's no track around here, would you want to see any flatcars around here?

"I suppose those flanged wheels would be tough on the asphalt..."

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:10 am

not sure if Yatming is completely out of business yet, still some cars around i think. trailer body looks plastic. as others steal your castings, they all tend to cheapen them somewhat, like the different headlights and sealed hood or doors, or you loose one of the moveable accessories like the landing gear or opening trailer doors. some even fix the trailer to the tractor so it won't come apart at all. on some of these cheaper ones, be careful taking them apart as you usually break off the king pin when doing so.

guy64

Postby guy64 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 am

Mike... I haven't come across any of the fixed-pin types yet. All these have the snap-in kingpins that are top hat-shaped.

Well, photobucket was down for a while yesterday, so we dropped a stitch. Time to mount up...

... with a stripped-down model. Another Kenworth of unknown maker using familiar tooling, but with absolutely no chrome or stickers. All the working features--opening hood, four-door trailer, folding landing gear and clear tail lights remain. An interesting feature not mentioned yet on most of these tractors is the flexible exhaust pipes. A couple of the more deluxe tractors have metal pipes, but these knock-offs have tough, pliable pipes that can bend, but still hold their shape well. Some would have been broken off by now if they were made of styrene.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:24 am

so all of these no - names are different manufacturers or distributors ?? very interesting !!

photo bucket is a pain the the keister !! an evil we unfortunately have to deal with.

I use adblock.org now, blocks all ads on photobucket / facebook, swiftys etc. got a pop up message that the editor function may not work properly if i don't white list them or turn of adblock. not going to happen !!

seems to work OK now, just a little slow to react , even slower to show an edit in your posted photo !!

have Bert check into it will you. And bring his dog and night stick !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:20 am

From what we've seen mentioned on other forums, PB was down for "maintenance". Seems to be ok since returning.

As always "your mileage may vary".

One last oddball from that now familiar family of tooling...

Same non-chromed Kenworth tractor as before, but with flashy stickers on the hood. Seems they (whoever "they" are) couldn't make up their minds about chrome wheels; this trailer has 'em, also chrome hose cases. The tractor is the usual dimensions, but not visible from this angle is the excess width of the trailer at the rear carriage. The wheels are spread way apart, and their fenders measure out at somewhere between 9 to 10 scale feet over the outside edges. The rear ladder is very wide as well, and I suspect that the diameter of the tank tube is a tad over 1/64 scale. Wheels/tires are right on scale, though. Curious. :?:

One nice touch is the spare tire rack under the trailer Interestingly, the spares match only the front tires of the tractor. At first I thought that was odd, but then I suppose a blown front tire is more disabling than losing one out of sixteen of the others.

"Makes sense, kid. But I don't see any "Oversize Load" banner on this one."

Don't look at me Officer, I didn't drive this thing here!

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:14 am

The tank is definitely over sized, thinking it may have went to something else. just like the cab, no chrome wheel, chrome !! Have never seen a double spare tire holder before , very interesting as everything is bigger on the trailer except the tires, really thinking different scale maybe 1/53 rd ish, hard to tell, but the tractor is definitely on the small size for the trailer , why have such a large tank when you can only fill it half full ??

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 am

bigtractormike wrote: why have such a large tank when you can only fill it half full ??

btm

Mike, maybe it's for "canned air". :)

guy64

Postby guy64 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 am

Now for some "different" different...

What's different on this Volvo straight truck are the wheels. They seem oversize, but the tread diameter of the tires is right in the 1/64 ballpark. The result is a low profile tire look that I've never seen on U.S. roads. Is this a European type of wheel?

Anyway, though mostly plastic (except for the Volvo cab) it's a very nice model with several features: Tilt-up cab (same casting as the Hapag-Lloyd container semi), removable bed cover, drop-down tailgate... there may even be a couple of things I haven't discovered yet.

I luuuuuv the color of this thing! It may just be the "yellow" that van Gogh was looking for.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 am

Euro truck / Euro tire ??

A different model, unusual to have all those features on a cheaper plastic model. Brand ??

I had something you might have wanted, not sure if you have any, it was a Techno container tractor trailer, all metal, metal container w/ doors, metal frame, metal COE tractor, w/ tilt cab , very heavy model. it had a few issues, the connecting rod for steering the tires was missing and the king pin was broken. otherwise it was pretty decent. was trying to get some one to fix it , but sold it to the first guy to pick it up. it was 1'64 th, it displayed well, .

guy64

Postby guy64 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:14 am

I don't know the brand of that yellow Volvo, Mike.

Nor do I know the brand of this one that uses the same type of wheels...

I've seen the tractor casting before, though: Same metal body as on so many others shown before in this thread.

These wheels look pretty good under this ubiquitous Kenworth, which again carries the only metal used on this piece. The tank trailer is interestingly short; about the same length as the tractor. It's also a believable 1/64 scale width overall.

"Well, at least it must've been easy to pull in here. You had me worried with that Esso tanker."

No worries, Officer. These guys are pros.

Return to “Big Rigs (Convoy & more)”