Bert Beholds Big Rigs

A place to discus Convoy, Super Convoy, Matchbox Trucks and any other trucks that you collect
bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Bert Beholds Big Rigs

Postby bigtractormike » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 am

maybe it was one of two trailers ?? interesting though. you must have a fleet of these things !!

guy64

Postby guy64 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:40 am

There was a time when we came upon these oddball trucks fairly often, Mike, or so it seemed. I can't remember where we got these with the big wheels.

They look good on a garbage truck, too...

Kind of ironic that the only large Benz truck we have is a lowly garbage scow. It's cool, though! Lotsa working features with this one: The red knob rotates an internal scoop for packing the refuse foreward. The open rear end swings up to allow dumping. The red tab on each side is part of a moving bulkhead which pushes any "rubbish" out when the tabs are pushed to the rear.

I have no idea how many of these were made, let alone how many have survived. Like the others with these wheels, it's mostly plastic except for the cab. Certain appendages are a tad... delicate.

"Uh, son, since this guy's here, could you have him back it up to the loading dock? I just cleaned out my desk, an'... well..." :oops:

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am

Nice little garbage truck, my friend Kenny would love it as he collects garbage trucks. we also have another Ken, we call him The Other Ken , who is a retired city solid refuse collections driver, it is a battle to see who can find what when it comes to garbage trucks !!

trash trucks are big money makers !! It's kind of strange that a cheaper mostly plastic , low end toy has all of those working features !! no matter how delicate they may be !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 am

Finally, a Kenworth highway tractor in some color besides red...

The metal cab has been seen several times already, but the trailer of this dumper employs the same tooling as another oddball truck seen earlier. The blue trailer frame shares many characteristics of the trailer frames used in that double Hapag-Lloyd container truck. This time, the single frame carries a dump bin with a scissor-action jack.

Bert insisted on a demonstration, so...

Look closely and you'll see a horizontal pin at the right front corner of the trailer frame used to engage the front socket of a shipping container.

"'Preciate you having them hose this thing out before the demo, kid."

No problem, Officer. I know how you hate getting dirt on your uniform.

"Well, it's just that, if I come in with a dirty uniform, the chief expects me to be dragging along a perp' in handcuffs."

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 am

another short trailer !!

even though plastic, still has play value . I see the container pin also, nothing like re purposing a model

guy64

Postby guy64 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 am

Another Shinsei...

For some strange reason, I don't think I have a front shot of this one. The tractor is made from the same tooling as the North American Van Lines semi already posted, so perhaps the viewer can "imagine" its appearance.

The trailer frame is made from similar if not identical tooling as the blue trailer of the Yatming auto transporter also seen earlier. Only thing is, this frame is made of metal instead of plastic. The trailer's ramps are quite similar to the ramps of the blue Yatming, except that the chocks are separate pieces instead of being cast into the ramps, and they are adjustable. Makes it easy to accommodate a wide variety of vehicles.

Which is why I chose this particular transporter to deliver these Matchbox Camaros to Bert and his brother, Bart.

"Good choice, kid. Uh, now tell us again, why have you brought these here?"

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:38 am

it seems the material of choice depends on the manufacture and time of production. the better ones use all metal, while the cheaper ones tend to go plastic. and the first generation or so of the better models, soon go to plastic as they start cutting costs and cheapen the model. like the all metal trailer / ramps and adjustable wheel choks , you don't see that much, mostly in the much older castings, SIKU / MB / MAJO etc.

I usually like a shot of the rear, but for some reason, this one isn't doing much for me !! LOL !!

Vinra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Vinra » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:45 pm

bigtractormike wrote:I usually like a shot of the rear, but for some reason, this one isn't doing much for me !! LOL !!

Same here. But not Bert's. ;)

guy64

Postby guy64 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:39 am

Back to Farm Country...

The skid loader was purchased separately from the flatbed truck, but I like having these two Ertl models together for some strange reason. Maybe it's because I had such a hard time finding a true 1/64 skid loader.

Or, maybe it's the field tires on the truck. I'm not sure why a flatbed truck would be so consigned to field use that it would be fitted with field tires. I know about avoiding soil compaction, but wouldn't these tires make the truck unusable on paved roads?

"It'd be pretty noisy at 55 MPH, I'd bet!"

Maybe a more knowledgeable "farm person" could clue us in, Officer.

"We need to hear from an Agro-Technician, is what we need."

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 am

you have two widely separate decades of die-cast here, the older ERTL DIE-CAST skid steer, and the lots newer / modern / cheap / mostly plastic / garbage of the newer ERTL models

ERTL makes these skid steers in 1/87 th and 1/64 th scale JD / New Holland / Case / Ford / and Heston and a few other MA. I think

the truck, and I say that loosely is a CHILD'S toy / see adjectives above to describe !!

the tires are to make it look like an impressive truck, they make the truck look tuff and rugged , but no practical use . they also use these on the older sprayer trucks from ERTL , no other reason that these tires are on there, besides something they had lying around already made

trucks in a field situation usually stay in the headland area to off load or be loaded , very few trucks venture into the field area itself, very good chance to get stuck. but people still drive all over, you would think they would learn not to do this.

This flat bed model was designed as a delivery truck, to bring you your tractor , there is usually a plastic piece that slips on the bed that hold the tractor tires (rear) by their side walls

your skid steer looks small to me, as the 1/64 th are usually pretty big, but maybe it is only my old tired eyes playing tricks on my again.

I'm trying to get some pics going, but keep getting interrupted , I'll keep trying

btm

Return to “Big Rigs (Convoy & more)”