Bert Beholds Big Rigs

A place to discus Convoy, Super Convoy, Matchbox Trucks and any other trucks that you collect
guy64

Re: Bert Beholds Big Rigs

Postby guy64 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 am

bigtractormike wrote:your skid steer looks small to me, as the 1/64 th are usually pretty big

That skid loader is supposed to represent something like a Bobcat or other small loader. The card listed it as 1/64, not 1/87. The seat in it is definitely sized for a 1/64 scale butt.

I used to have a couple of the larger, more commonly found Ertl skid loaders (the next size up) but they were way off 1/64, probably more like 1/55 or even 1/50. Their width at the outside of their wheels would be over nine feet in 1/64 scale.

Bert appreciates all the "agro-tech" information. thanks Mike!

Bert wanted a closer look at that loader...

And a demo...

"Now there's something else I coulda used when I was cleaning my desk."

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:02 am

I really need to have some me time !!

the stuff I could show you !!

I have both scales, will get a comparison pic , well I'll try

they currently make a plastic series of ERTL stuff, all plastic, but not much different from the regular stuff, it has a touch of die-cast in it and it is scaled down in size / and scaled up in others

I'll stick to vintage please !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 am

From the earliest days of our swap meet expeditions...

At the time I hadn't heard of Winross, but even though this White 7000 COE was missing its trailer, 50 cents didn't seem out of line as a price. Best 50 cents I ever spent. It's from the time when these things rolled very freely. The equalized suspension under the 5th wheel works very well too. It reminds me of a certain Tonka livestock semi I had as a kid. The Tonka was much bigger tho.

This tractor is often used as a load for our American Flyer 715 Auto Unloader flatcar. It works better that the original load.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 am

yes that is a nice one for sure. Have a few of them for sale also. Winross has had several owners over the years, the family sold out and the new company came in and started doing Nascar crap. Good luck trying to unload that stuff, I think i sold the 5 or 6 I had for $5.00 each, just to be rid of them. I even have three different doubles sets, 2 older, 1 more modern . What are really hard to find are the straight trucks, they go really fast.

And I like that they did a lot of code 3 stuff for people , would be great if they still did that for people . I just found a "Yellow " trucking older cab with the wind screen on the roof , older cab, for $1.00 at the flea market, sold it the next day for $7.00

One thing I do hate about them is the orange boxes some of the newer stuff comes in.

and what most don't realize , is that all of the older stuff is all hand assembled and fitted, old style !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am

A newer company in the die cast 1/64 trucking world is M2 Machines (aka: Castline)...

... and they make some pretty amazing stuff.

"That Dodge tractor would be a lot more amazing with a trailer, kid."

That's how it came, but I do have a couple with trailers, Officer.

"So why haven't I... uh... um..."

Yeeeeesss, Officer? Why haven't you seen them? Is that what you meant to say?

"Uh, well... ahem-hem..."

It's working, folks.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am

not a fan of the M2's . never did like them, even with my interest in trucks. they sold them in singles and with the trailers, look for the ones with the GOLD wheels, those are the chase pieces !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 am

M2 has tapped into another interesting trend...

... gigantic pick-up trucks based on full size highway tractors.

This one's a Chevy, so it kinda "reached out" to me. The only reason I got it before any of the local scalpers did was because I happened to be in the store when the owner was unpacking a case he'd just received. Some times it pays to hang around for a while when you can't make up your mind right away.

"Nice! Now that thing could carry a squashed-up Lincoln."

Yup. Maybe two, if they're squashed small enough.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Don't know about these type of trucks, don't do anything for me !!

way oversized before it's time !!

btm

guy64

Postby guy64 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 am

Huge custom pick-up trucks based on highway tractors or full-size straight trucks are a real thing these days. The first one I saw was based on an early '50s Chevy COE. I prefer the later Chevy truck that M2 used.

Gotta be an expensive custom in the real world. :shock:

With all these trucks around, Bert has made sure there's help nearby...

Ertl went for play value over detail with this one.

"Forget having me turn that knob, kid."

No worries, Officer. I'll get it if we need it.

bigtractormike
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby bigtractormike » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:52 am

I have seen the huge Ford 6500 pick-ups and the IH CXT up close, that is a lot of truck with a huge gas tank to fill, have to use special hitches to pull any thing and have a special licence to drive one, for the weight category. one guy had a custom IH CXT with a huge custom sleeping camper that look like it was molded to the truck, very cool, a huge offroad rig, he said altogether almost $300.000.

Now I like that ERTL wrecker, have never seen one or even knew they made one of these, about what year was it made, do you know ?? I have grain trucks, milk tankers, spraying rigs, flat beds, but have never seen this.

looks like the whole rear unit is plastic, a little big, but that was typical of the older wreckers, big head board and frame need the strength to pull the big stuff around or rather out of a hole !!

btm

Return to “Big Rigs (Convoy & more)”