July, 2015 Sky Busters

The place to discuss all things related to Skybusters
Chuck Wiersma

July, 2015 Sky Busters

Postby Chuck Wiersma » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Back on July 11, 2015 I ran across a new batch of Sky Busters. Included in the batch are two new castings. The back of the blister lists nine models but I have only located eight models.

First, the SB 124 Roto Warrior is a dual rotor copter with rotors that flip like an US Osprey aircraft. The top half of the fuselage is metal with the bottom half, landing skids, and rotors all in plastic. The rotor blades do spin. I see a lot of play activity with this piece. The model has tampo graphics. The pack number is CGG07.

Next is the bizarre SB 125 Battle Bomber. The model sports rear landing struts and wheels but nothing on the front. I do not understand how this model is supposed to land. Only the central part of the main upper fuselage is die cast. The engines, wings, and base are all plastic. The tampo livery is MH-2014 Battle Bomber. The pack number is CGG08.

The Twin Blast (CGG27) is in orange with white wings. The tampo deco is basically flames. This model now sports the new landing struts and wheels.

Freeway Flyer (CGG28) has a yellow enamel body and grey plastic wings that fold up. The tampo deco is graffiti like.

The Strato Saucer (CGG29) is in dark grey with blue plastic base. The deco is inkjet.

Air Blitz sports a red enamel die cast upper fuselage with grey plastic wings and base. The tampo deco is Alley Cat. The model also sports the new style landing struts with wheels.

The Cessna Caravan (CGG33) is metallic copper with a copper-orange plastic base and wings. The inkjet deco on the wings is North County Outdoor Expeditions. The deco on the diecast upper fuselage is tampo.

Lastly for this batch, the Twin Boom (CGG34) has a metallic silver upper fuselage with white plastic wings and base. The tampo deco on the wings includes multi colored stripes, stars, and Twin Boom 72.

There was a hard to find previous batch as well. In this earlier batch, two new liveries were issued. First, the Gee Bee (CGG15) was issued in metallic navy blue with flames and 36.

The second model is the Sea Arrow (CGG24) in light blue enamel with white plastic wings. The tampo deco is Aloha Discovery Charters. This model retains the old style wide carriage with open axle rear wheels. The front is the old style single wheel assembly.

charliep

Re: July, 2015 Sky Busters

Postby charliep » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:39 am

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the update and pictures. As a avid skybuster collector, I am deeply disappointed with the battle bomber. Besides being mostly made of plastic, its missing the front wheels. I am not sure what the intent was, since it has very little play value for the kids; it certainly doesn't roll.

I am concerned about the future of skybusters. Besides being mostly generic and made largely of plastic, now even the wheels are not included. I do not mind a price increase (walmart increased the price) but the quality did not improve, to the contrary it has been cheapened. The difference of the skybusters of years ago and the recent releases is like night and day. In my opinion, the battle bomber is one of the worst ever skybuster.

Chuck Wiersma

Re: July, 2015 Sky Busters

Postby Chuck Wiersma » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:38 pm

Charliep,

I couldn't agree with you more on many of the Sky Buster offerings. Although I feel the Roto Warrior has play value, and I still like realistic fighters like the F-15, etc., these latest issues have surpassed the stage of disappointing and now have reached the level of makes no sense. What is the play value of the plane that has no front landing gear?! It should be bound for the island of misfit toys. This is an astounding failure in design from my perspective. Why not just issue it with no landing gear at all. And for $3.47 - well too steep a price to ask for a mostly plastic unrealistic designed and cheap looking product. My urning to collect this series wanes with every wave that comes out.

Return to “Skybusters”