Ambassador's Report January 28th 2015

Find all the latest information, details and pictures from the Matchbox Ambassador.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ambassador's Report January 28th 2015

Postby admin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 pm

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Ambassador's Report January 28th 2015

Postby adbutler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Cheers for posting Brad and to Larry for writing.
I really like the Quick Sander, it's one of the few generics that I collect, so this will be finding its way into my collection. The matt blue paint looks good on this casting. :)
I'm completely underwhelmed by the Supreme Heroes International Pumper. No front/rear tampo print and lots of cheap looking grey plastic. It definitely doesn't scream 'premium line' to me.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

jpi37087
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jpi37087 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks for the informative report! Looking forward to the return of the Vista cruiser and if all works out for my wife and I, to see what new station wagon is in store for next year when we see it at the Gathering this year ;)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 am

Thanks Larry and Brad for posting.

The basic line models as a whole are really not my cup of tea. I was hoping for some form of car to quench my thirst before we get the Alfa! I do not know if I can wait any longer. :)

The Quick Sander is the only one I will be grabbing. 2014's version was really handsome but this model has a different style that I also like. It looks like a Dakar Rally truck with those bright colors.

That being said, the other four models actually all have realistic, attractive designs, but the castings do not create any desire for me.

The International is clearly the best of the Supreme Heroes shown so far. The bright gloss yellow really looks crisp with the white livery, and the detailing on all the water outlets and other equipment on the running board is really top notch. The wheels actually look appropriate on this truck, most likely because they are gray and not colored. The rims are still too large to look good for a utility truck.

The Q&A sections seem to be getting better each weel. Learning about the Olds and a new wagon for 2016 is promising. I do not know if the new wagon for 2016 is modern or classic, but the latest German shooting brakes really are lookers!

Nic

94SS
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 94SS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:58 am

What Aaron said...why no front and rear lights or rear upper siren lights painted on the International?

so glad I am no longer collecting every Matchbox.

Bill50
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Bill50 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:55 am

What a total load of rubbish,baby toys for middle age toddlers and yet another fire vehicle.To aid the recovery and help the share holders of Mattel I urge the board with immediate effect to stop production of Matchbox products across the whole range mothball the name and make the entire staff redundant.

With the millions saved Mattel could step up into the world of phone and tablet controlled toys which the competition are already in.
Happy Days we are getting out of the EU

66alfa_gtv
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 66alfa_gtv » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 pm

So, why should I care about the Supreme Heroes series?

Is it the realistic mag wheels with low profile tires so appropriate for these large trucks?
Perhaps the lack of tampo printing on the grill?
Or is it the over abundance of plastic?

Seriously, yet another lost opportunity. They could have made some really nice emergency vehicles with the castings available. Somebody could have created a realistic large truck wheel. There could have been better tampos on all the important surfaces. And, a metal base + body would add some heft and quality, much in the nature of the real trucks these miniatures mimic.
But, this is Mattel.

I have no interest in the rest of the stuff. The brand has flat-lined for me.

94SS
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 94SS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

And look at all the HWs series that get metal bases...it is fcking sickening....

I wonder if someone has taken the time to count the number of 3inch HWs series?

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Okay I am going to start with the International Pumper here. I am really REALLY disappointed in this one. I am really glad I am not going to be collecting the series as for a premium model this is a huge let down. If this were to be released in the basic range I would have been really happy. I like the International Pumper casting (it has always been one of my fave fire vehicles) and obviously with a licensed livery it would have been fantastic.
I couldn't find the E-501 but it is a great likeness with others that they have. It matches perfectly.

But this is a premium model. What do we get for the premium cost? One additional pass through the tampo machine which in itself doesn't cover the grooves and curves of the section it is tampoing (which I think is pretty bad). Plus, the front window surround is still yellow which looks really bad for a higher cost model. There are no front or rear tampos, and the rest of the roof area has nothing either. The livery likely would not have cost them a penny, so to be honest the real authentic design is purely just a bonus. Then on top of the one extra pass, we get a 2-piece wheel which doesn't suit it anyway. Many of the standard wheels look better on fire vehicles anyway. You don't get fire engines with 5-spoke wheels. I would have really preferred this to have been a basic range model. Skip the supposed white cab part and hood print (putting it back to 2 passes a-la all other basics), put disk wheels on it and you would have had me sold. I would have been all over it. In fact, I really want them to do that. Please! But the more we are seeing of the Supreme Heroes series the more I am getting annoyed and depressed. After the really cool Ford Explorer that started us off, each vehicles just feels more and more of a let down. The vehicles are good/great, the liveries would have been awesome on a basic range version of them, and the wheels are just wrong (except on the Explorer where they do actually suit it)..

I would be so happy if Mattel were to make a special 10-pack at the end of the year, where they take the 10 models in the Supreme Heroes series, cut them down to a 2-tampo hit, change wheels to the basic wheels that suit better and release them as a set together. Oh how I long for the days where Avon would have requested something like that. They used to be great for taking premium models and creating a more basic version of them.

So on to the basics. For starters, I am loiving the Quick Sander. I do like the casting anyway, and I have always preferred where they create a rally style livery for it. I have been waiting for them to do something like this since the model debuted.
Red Bull anyone? Obviously it is not a Red Bull livery, but it is blue (different shade of blue so cannot be confused) with yellow patches and a red animal emblazoned on it. It is definitely a nod (at least). This is where Mattel does their best work in creating something generic that you can see the reality it spawned from. I absolutely love it! Great stuff! I am really looking forward to this one. The rest of the basic.... meh! The Double Decker bus looks nice though, but a 9/10-pack exclusive? Does this mean it is already dropped from the basic range? It has only been around for 2 years, and it didn't seem to hang around.

I am looking forward to hearing a new wagon is on the cards for 2016. Obviously we are going to have to wait nearly 6 months to find out which one. I would love to see the new Audi RS4 Avant Quattro. But we could be debating wagons for the next 6 months, so I think I will shut up about it for now. Glad to hear the Olds is returning too. I am looking forward to that.
Oh to have it in Hurst livery! I saw John Lambert talking about it on the blog and thought how cool it would be. I know that was a 1972, and the Matchbox one is a 1971, but are we going to quibble over 1 year? I definitely will not. I would be really happy if we did see it like this. I showed the Ferrari 3-pack prepro set here a while back as I finally got all 3 models. The Texaco tanker does look cool though, and I really like the blue prepro Maxi Taxi. This must have been an early mock-up of what they were planning for what was eventually a yellow model.

I would say a big fat yes to all the models we would like to see. I never nominated any of them, but if any of those get made I would be happy. Although the Checker police and fire vehicles would be one and the same. That is just a livery difference.

I have seen those puffy magnets before, but I am impressed you got all of them. And the story behind the collection was a cool read too. Thanks for sharing.

It is good to hear the Gathering is well on its way to being sold out. It only started a matter of weeks ago. Less than 6 months to go. I really can't wait!

:) :D :P

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 pm

David Tilley wrote:But this is a premium model. What do we get for the premium cost? One additional pass through the tampo machine which in itself doesn't cover the grooves and curves of the section it is tampoing (which I think is pretty bad). Plus, the front window surround is still yellow which looks really bad for a higher cost model. There are no front or rear tampos, and the rest of the roof area has nothing either. The livery likely would not have cost them a penny, so to be honest the real authentic design is purely just a bonus. Then on top of the one extra pass, we get a 2-piece wheel which doesn't suit it anyway. Many of the standard wheels look better on fire vehicles anyway. You don't get fire engines with 5-spoke wheels. I would have really preferred this to have been a basic range model. Skip the supposed white cab part and hood print (putting it back to 2 passes a-la all other basics), put disk wheels on it and you would have had me sold. I would have been all over it. In fact, I really want them to do that. Please! But the more we are seeing of the Supreme Heroes series the more I am getting annoyed and depressed. After the really cool Ford Explorer that started us off, each vehicles just feels more and more of a let down. The vehicles are good/great, the liveries would have been awesome on a basic range version of them, and the wheels are just wrong (except on the Explorer where they do actually suit it)..

This is pretty much how I feel about the Supreme Heroes line. It seems to be a very half-assed attempt to give Matchbox a premium line. It's almost as though Mattel are setting it up to fail so they can tell collectors "we tried but it didn't sell".
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

Return to “'Matchbox Ambassador' Central”