May 4th Ambassador report

Find all the latest information, details and pictures from the Matchbox Ambassador.
David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

May 4th Ambassador report

Postby David Tilley » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 pm

I thought as nobody has posted it here I would provide a link to John Lambert's blog that has it....

http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05 ... rt-by.html

I do find it strange that Matchbox were unable to impart any information about the Jurassic World stuff they were doing until the beginning of May. Lego reported they were doing stuff ages ago and passed on pictures a while back too. Especially as the first products actually hit stores before May too. But I am not going to dwell on it. It is just nice to see some stuff being passed on to us about it. We have seen some of the models already (they have already been released) but there are some new ones to be released too. I am guessing the MBX Prospector and Baja Bullet are part of the second batch of basics, and the Screamapillar (I mean Dump Dozer) will be in the remaining 5-pack. I am enjoying that Matchbox have actually been given a license to work with like this. I see so many licenses using the Hot Wheels brand name. I saw at my local Tesco Star Wars and Marvel models under the Hot Wheels banner. Had they been Matchbox I would have picked them up, but Hot Wheels.... Nah! I am just happy that Mattel are finally giving Matchbox something to work with.

I do also like the last of the Supreme Hero models. This is the first time I have really felt the weird wheels don't look too out of place. Plus, this does get a full tampo treatment. I am contemplating whether to actually give the series a go. After all, it is only 10 models. There have been some nice ones in there. Plus a few duds (solely down to the wheels for me, not including the fire thingy). I am still debating. I will make a final decision while in USA in a few months.

The BMW looks lovely. I have always been a bit of a BMW fan, and also I like the Polizei vehicles too. I may have to do a photo spread of all the Polizei vehicles I can find when I get it. A nice collection of BMW and Mercs throughout the years going back (I think quickly going off the top of my head) to the BMW 3.0 CSL in the late 1970s followed by the Merc 450SEL in the early 1980s.

I am also happy to see the return of the q&a portion of the report. I know we love seeing pictures of upcoming vehicles, but I am a huge believer that one of the biggest reasons we had an Ambassador scheme was so that we could have a middle party to deal with Mattel and the collector to pass on information both ways and the biggest part of that is being able to ask them questions and get answers to those questions. Now I know they are up for it again I will have to submit some questions of my own. Although I am loving the idea of putting a Porsche 911 on the ideas board for 2017. Yes, for me, a Cayman this year is not enough. We need more Porsches! I know some may want modified versions of vehicles, but for me, the only mod I like is one that can be civilian or police. Modifying a Dodge Charger to make a Hellcat is a waste of resources to me. I know Hot Wheels does it a lot, where they keep making the same models over and over with slightly different versions, but when reduced to small size these differences are not big enough for me to worry about. The only changes I like to see are the difference between hardtop and convertible (or as I said putting a light on the roof or not).

I have to say it was a nice little write-up from Michael. I will definitely miss his presence on the brand.

I do love seeing prepros. I also own the same prepro Audi Quattro. I agree how awesome it looks. I have a number of all black models. I think they look cool. I think that Audi is my fave in my Audi Quattro group.

I also have to say that was a great read on the playcases by Chuck. I am really impressed with the level of research that looks to have gone into that article. As they tended to be more of an American thing I never saw them in the UK. I did not realize they carried on so late. I thought they were more of an early 1970s fad.

I am also happy that I arranged for a pair of Alfa Romeo 4C models to be sent over from Tom Sarlitto (thanks Tom). They have just arrived yesterday and seeing how the production was altered after the first batch, I am pretty confident that I will not see the early version released on ROW short card. I am sure we will begin with the later run.

:) :D :P

94SS
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: May 4th Ambassador report

Postby 94SS » Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Good points David but one thing still bugs me....

All of those HW series like Avengers, BAtman, Mustang, Fast n Furious all cost the same as a normal model. But not Matchbox, they make those $1.47 or $1.49 depending on the store.

I do not get it.

jpi37087
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jpi37087 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:14 pm

[quote="David Tilley"]I thought as nobody has posted it here I would provide a link to John Lambert's blog that has it....

I do also like the last of the Supreme Hero models. This is the first time I have really felt the weird wheels don't look too out of place. Plus, this does get a full tampo treatment. I am contemplating whether to actually give the series a go. After all, it is only 10 models. There have been some nice ones in there. Plus a few duds (solely down to the wheels for me, not including the fire thingy). I am still debating. I will make a final decision while in USA in a few months.

Go ahead and give this series a go! :D You can purchase them from me when we get to Albuquerque ;) :lol: They are VERY nice models, I already DLM'ed the first 4 for my self, I plan on stocking up big time on these models for the gathering, I am hoping another release hits by then, just 2 more months to go ! :mrgreen:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Thu May 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Have to agree, the BMW M5 looks great and I can't wait to find it. Just a shame it couldn't get a front/rear tampo hit to finish it off or have the headlights as part of the windows ala Majorette.
Curious that the Intl Workstar Brush Fire Truck has a metal body, wonder if they realise that plastic bodies aren't the way to go? The wheels, for once, look great on this.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:01 pm

I always say a modern Matchbox can be judged admirable if it can be pictured alongside the 2010 lineup, and I can do exactly that with the BMW M5. Albeit it has the lightbar as part of the window mold, this is a genuinely superb casting. I am happy that the proportions and lines on the M5 are so well done. The 1M, if I am honest, still disappoints me. It is mostly the headlight tampoes, which are way too small for the model, and it just does not look right next to the McLarens and Panameras in my showcase. This M5, however, even though it is a police model, can. I am happy properly done BMW's are back in the Matchbox range!

The Polizei livery is nice too. I am sure that the licenses obtained through Supreme Heroes means we will be seeing more real departments on police cars, no more "MBX County" or "Matchbox Sheriff", or at least less of them.

The Workstar is nice, but those wheels. They are so wrong. They have a rim that looks sport utility, not service vehicle, and it is extremely large, and the tire wall is miniscule. Then, the tread marks on the side are extremely thick, making it look like an off-road tread. It's a case of mistaken identity. I still have a Premiere version of the Mack Hazmat Truck and the rubber/truck rims on that are phenomenal.

Aaron, as far as we're told, old (original) castings will be used in the Supreme Heroes Line, and the modified ones will remain in the basic line.

The questions this week were more forthright than we have ever seen. I hope this remains to be the case, as I submitted some pretty demanding questions that probably would not have been answered so candidly. Dave still did an exemplary job with the questions, however.

I would love to see the WRX and EVO stock. Matchbox could easily get two or three castings out of one model, as they did with the highly commendable Dodge Magnum, which is why I did a write-up on that one.

Thanks for the report Larry and David for posting.

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Thu May 07, 2015 10:49 pm

mbx64 wrote:Aaron, as far as we're told, old (original) castings will be used in the Supreme Heroes Line, and the modified ones will remain in the basic line.

Cheers Nic :bravo:
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

mboxcollector
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mboxcollector » Fri May 08, 2015 2:07 am

David Tilley wrote:I thought as nobody has posted it here I would provide a link to John Lambert's blog that has it....

http://lamleydlm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05 ... rt-by.html

I do find it strange that Matchbox were unable to impart any information about the Jurassic World stuff they were doing until the beginning of May. Lego reported they were doing stuff ages ago and passed on pictures a while back too. Especially as the first products actually hit stores before May too. But I am not going to dwell on it. It is just nice to see some stuff being passed on to us about it. We have seen some of the models already (they have already been released) but there are some new ones to be released too. I am guessing the MBX Prospector and Baja Bullet are part of the second batch of basics, and the Screamapillar (I mean Dump Dozer) will be in the remaining 5-pack. I am enjoying that Matchbox have actually been given a license to work with like this. I see so many licenses using the Hot Wheels brand name. I saw at my local Tesco Star Wars and Marvel models under the Hot Wheels banner. Had they been Matchbox I would have picked them up, but Hot Wheels.... Nah! I am just happy that Mattel are finally giving Matchbox something to work with.

The BMW looks lovely. I have always been a bit of a BMW fan, and also I like the Polizei vehicles too. I may have to do a photo spread of all the Polizei vehicles I can find when I get it. A nice collection of BMW and Mercs throughout the years going back (I think quickly going off the top of my head) to the BMW 3.0 CSL in the late 1970s followed by the Merc 450SEL in the early 1980s.

I am also happy to see the return of the q&a portion of the report. I know we love seeing pictures of upcoming vehicles, but I am a huge believer that one of the biggest reasons we had an Ambassador scheme was so that we could have a middle party to deal with Mattel and the collector to pass on information both ways and the biggest part of that is being able to ask them questions and get answers to those questions. Now I know they are up for it again I will have to submit some questions of my own. Although I am loving the idea of putting a Porsche 911 on the ideas board for 2017. Yes, for me, a Cayman this year is not enough. We need more Porsches! I know some may want modified versions of vehicles, but for me, the only mod I like is one that can be civilian or police. Modifying a Dodge Charger to make a Hellcat is a waste of resources to me. I know Hot Wheels does it a lot, where they keep making the same models over and over with slightly different versions, but when reduced to small size these differences are not big enough for me to worry about. The only changes I like to see are the difference between hardtop and convertible (or as I said putting a light on the roof or not).

I have to say it was a nice little write-up from Michael. I will definitely miss his presence on the brand.

I do love seeing prepros. I also own the same prepro Audi Quattro. I agree how awesome it looks. I have a number of all black models. I think they look cool. I think that Audi is my fave in my Audi Quattro group.

I also have to say that was a great read on the playcases by Chuck. I am really impressed with the level of research that looks to have gone into that article. As they tended to be more of an American thing I never saw them in the UK. I did not realize they carried on so late. I thought they were more of an early 1970s fad.

I am also happy that I arranged for a pair of Alfa Romeo 4C models to be sent over from Tom Sarlitto (thanks Tom). They have just arrived yesterday and seeing how the production was altered after the first batch, I am pretty confident that I will not see the early version released on ROW short card. I am sure we will begin with the later run.

Hi Dave,
Thank you for posting my report. I sent one to Brad along with the others but his e-mail kicked back to me and was undeliverable for some reason. I also sent Brad a pm to let him know I had a problem, but didn't hear back form him either. But once again thank you for posting!!! On your comment about Jurassic World being delayed till May 1st.... That was the agreement with Universal Studio's and they had to wait to release any imagery. If Lego had another type of agreement or released it too soon, that's their business. I should have more pictures for the next report. I did send in more questions, hope they have the time to answer them. Have a great day!!!
Larry

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:12 am

adbutler wrote:
mbx64 wrote:Aaron, as far as we're told, old (original) castings will be used in the Supreme Heroes Line, and the modified ones will remain in the basic line.

Cheers Nic :bravo:
Welcome!

If we ever do end up seeing the Caddy Ambulance in the line (which I very much hope for) it will be the original one, so there's some comfort!

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 am

mboxcollector wrote:Hi Dave,
Thank you for posting my report. I sent one to Brad along with the others but his e-mail kicked back to me and was undeliverable for some reason. I also sent Brad a pm to let him know I had a problem, but didn't hear back form him either. But once again thank you for posting!!! On your comment about Jurassic World being delayed till May 1st.... That was the agreement with Universal Studio's and they had to wait to release any imagery. If Lego had another type of agreement or released it too soon, that's their business. I should have more pictures for the next report. I did send in more questions, hope they have the time to answer them. Have a great day!!!
Larry
I wonder if Lego jumped the gun a little on their information then. It would seem daft to not allow a company to pass on info but let another company do it. I have all the 7 singles, 2x 5-packs and Mission Force collected by John Lambert for me. He is going to ship them out this weekend. We know there are another 8 singles and 1 more 5-pack to come. We also know there are 2 Land & Air twinpacks, although they have duplicates from other sets. If you could find out if there is more to come using the license that would be great. I am sure they would have done a playset or something.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Fri May 08, 2015 8:49 am

jpi37087 wrote:Go ahead and give this series a go! :D You can purchase them from me when we get to Albuquerque ;) :lol: They are VERY nice models, I already DLM'ed the first 4 for my self, I plan on stocking up big time on these models for the gathering, I am hoping another release hits by then, just 2 more months to go ! :mrgreen:
Well I have decided to go for them. John Lambert is sending over the first 4 with the Jurassic World models this weekend so I will have them in 2 weeks. Hopefully the rest will be out for July. I am hoping to get as much as possible while in USA.

Return to “'Matchbox Ambassador' Central”