Ambassador's Report May 19th 2015

Find all the latest information, details and pictures from the Matchbox Ambassador.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ambassador's Report May 19th 2015

Postby admin » Wed May 20, 2015 9:56 am

My apologies for missing the last report, but various email issues have now been sorted and we are back on track (I hope)

Check out the latest report : http://www.matchboxforum.co.uk/Amby-Reports/AmbReport20.pdf

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Ambassador's Report May 19th 2015

Postby David Tilley » Wed May 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Many thanks for posting the report Brad. It is good to see the issues resolved in a quick and timely manner.

First of all, I would like to say I really like all the new basics. The Hazard Squad is a nice generic model, and people do enjoy seeing it appear. This looks to be the altered version where the cabin roof has now been integrated into the body rather than a different piece. Of course it means no color breaks any more, but quickte often they didn't do them anyway. The blue is a different design choice, and I like that. But do I see it is still metal. So they have reduced the parts, but in fact increased the metal content!

The Dodge Monaco Police is also another cost reduced model. This is simply an integration of the roof light into the window piece. It was expected, and I am not completely bothered by it, but have to wonder why Matchbox haven't started doing the multi-colored plastic pieces yet? They were exploring them before but nothing has come of it. I see Lego have done it, and I assume other manufacturers have done it too. This way they can do a window in one color with a different roof area all in one and still getting that different look to it. It would make this model better. Of course I am not a fan of that light grey base. That is a wishy-washy grey they use, and it always cheapens the look of whatever it is put on. But the design is lovely. It sort of reminds me of the Walmart exclusive a few years back, and also for some reason I get a feeling of Smokey & The Bandit. I don't know why....

Finally, the Pontiac Firebird looks gorgeous in red. A nice simple side design on a beautiful color scheme. I am already looking forward to that one. Just imagine if the whole range was like this. Wouldn't we all be happy.

Next up, we get some more Jurassic World models. Some have already been released, but we see a few more designs of upcoming models. I am enjoying the fact we are getting a series like this, and these generic models do work well here.

I am smirking a little at the RWR thing. Here is a model that you can get, but nobody knows which store will be in the promotion to get it, and the promotion runs out in 11 days. Nobody has mentioned seeing anything being displayed in any store or chain that could signify they were the store that will have this model. For those that collect RWRs, have your heads exploded yet? I don't collect them, so I am just going to sit back and relax. Hee hee! What fun.

I have never been a big fan of the chromed prepros. I am trying to remember if I own any. I don't think I do. I do remember seeing a load for sale at a convention a number of years ago (I think it may have been Hershey). I passed on them then. I may not now, but I am not that worried over trying to get them.

That Skyjack track set is awesome. I always wanted one. I have always wanted to set one up with loads of track and see how long I can make it with the cars still rolling around. I used to want a Penguin Playground as a kid. This was a simple rolling track with 3 penguins that slide down the track and at the bottom is a stair that slides back and forth and it nudges the penguins back up to the top to start again. I was fascinated by it. I never saw this Matchbox set as a kid, but as a collector now I think it would have been even better than the penguins. I would love to set one up with a bunch of cars on it rolling round and up and round and up....

I have checked a few stores in the UK for Jurassic World. I have seen nothing. And I mean nothing. Not just Matchbox, but any toy at all bearing a Jurassic World logo. Except a solitary Lego set at Toys R Us. With areas dedicated to upcoming films etc, I thought there would have been a Jurassic World section somewhere, and possibly a little part of that dedicated to Matchbox. But I think the UK is ignoring the fact there is a film with loads of marketing opportunities.

:) :D :P

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Thu May 21, 2015 1:19 am

All those new Matchbox are so underwhelming! :bash2: The entire line has been so badly cost cut to keep it under the $1.00 price point in the USA that I just can't get excited about the brand anymore. Outside of 1 or 2 little gems (Alfa 4C, Ford GT40 & Tesla S Model) they look terrible.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks for the report Larry and Brad for posting it here.

David, I wish you were right about the Hazard Squad gaining some metal content, but the body is actually plastic. The diecast piece can be seen in the picture of the truck's rear where the bumper is a zamac coated metal. I am a bit confused about this because it seems like they removed a piece and then added one. There is no separate plastic piece for the cab, but I am pretty sure that before the base was not two pieces, and now it seems to be with the diecast piece and black base, but I am sure weight savings were a bigger factor than piece count. It will probably have a base like the 2006 GMC School Bus.

The design on the Hazard Squad is unique and attractive. The State Police livery is a clever idea and the truck looks sharp in blue, but every time I see such a fantastic Golden Era model get whammed with the plastic treatment (quite a severe case with this one) it kills a part of my enjoyment of the hobby. Plastic just always looks gaudy when it is dyed.

The Monaco's design is seriously one of the best it has received. The gold body paired with the white trimmed brown stripping is very attractive, and I feel like such a nice livery was 'wasted' on this new version of the casting. I could tolerate either the base being a horrid gray color or the light being a window-piece, but add both together and I can only think of what this model could have been. The co-mold is a great idea but there is no way in hell Mattel will do it for the Matchbox baseline. That would require $$$$.

The Firebird is nice because there are no cost savings here (although I am sure we will see a change soon enough) and I like the red. Some of the Jurassic World models even look cool, particularly the Quarry King and Silverado 4x4.

Medic Dan

Postby Medic Dan » Thu May 21, 2015 2:19 am

Thanks for another great report!

Has anyone found the Special Edition Heroic Rescue Vehicles in the stores? I am in Ohio and Meijer's is "set" for them but they have filled the pegs with 1-100's instead.

Dan

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 am

mbx64 wrote:David, I wish you were right about the Hazard Squad gaining some metal content, but the body is actually plastic. The diecast piece can be seen in the picture of the truck's rear where the bumper is a zamac coated metal.
Is it? I thought it was metal. I have just looked at an enlarged photo. You're right! Doh! I didn't look at the base before. I looked at the rear view picture, saw it was shiny, and thought it was still metal. Must be a lighting thing.

Not that it bothers me as much, but I am sure there is going to be more than a little complaining over it.

:) :D :P

carmagreviews
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby carmagreviews » Mon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm

all 3 will be brought by me the Hazard Squard is not a Generic it is based on the design of a GMC - There was a discussion in either this board or MCCH some years ago by one of the designers who said he based it on a GMC but rear was the made up Generic part as Matchbox could not get a license from a manufacturer that makes the pump equipment or did not want to go to the experience (think 1960s Leyland -Merryweather or AEC -Merryweather) - If its plastic I still buy it as the livery looks realistic - I got 2 others of this casting when they had realistic liveries a few years back.
I not too fussed about the Plastic Body - I believe the Renault Master is one of the Best - Some Zee and Novo had plastic bodies and seemed to sell OK - I would love to get the Novo Peugeot 605 door as the only diecast-plastic model manufacturer to model this car in 3 inch size!

and Yes I too of 3 think the red Pontiac Firebird Formula is the best as for the Juriassic vehicles only the white ute will find my way into my collection as it is realistic

Return to “'Matchbox Ambassador' Central”