Ambassador's Report June 27th 2015 *** SPECIAL INTRO ***

Find all the latest information, details and pictures from the Matchbox Ambassador.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ambassador's Report June 27th 2015 *** SPECIAL INTRO ***

Postby admin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am

The latest report is now available, with a very special Introduction section that farewells one of the great names in Matchbox History

Check out the latest report : http://www.matchboxforum.co.uk/Amby-Reports/AmbReport23.pdf

mboxcollector
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Ambassador's Report June 27th 2015 *** SPECIAL INTRO ***

Postby mboxcollector » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Thank you for posting this report so fast. Larry

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:12 pm

mboxcollector wrote:Thank you for posting this report so fast. Larry

Always a pleasure. I have also started a thread to get some feedback on what we might like in the 2017 range.

mboxcollector
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mboxcollector » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:16 pm

admin wrote:
mboxcollector wrote:Thank you for posting this report so fast. Larry

Always a pleasure. I have also started a thread to get some feedback on what we might like in the 2017 range.

I think this is a great opportunity!!!!

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks Larry for the report and Brad for posting.

Quickly on the new models: Mack CF, awesome. Champagne-colored DBS, awesome. VW 4x4 with the last names of the Matchbox Team, super awesome.

It was very nice to read all of the letters about Michael Heralda. That is a very fitting tribute to have such an addition to the Ambassador Report, and even though I have never met him (I hope to one day) he sounds like a very friendly and talented guy. I think we will all miss his designs that we have known for so long, and I wonder what his 5,000th model is. Thanks to him for all of the awesome models we got, especially from the New Golden Era.

The 2017 collector's pick idea from Gerry suggests that Matchbox remains in good hands. This is a wonderful idea to make us feel like a part of the brand, and I am glad they still see us as a (small) asset. I am very excited to see what 2016 has in store for us as everyone attends the Gathering.

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:40 am

Michael has actually completed well over 5000 designs. Not sure what the 5,000th one was. There are some recent Hot Wheel designs by Michael as well. Namely the Fire Chief Van comes to mind. And he really is a great person aside from his talented role at Mattel. His last week ends 3, July. We will miss his designs but I would guess, he will remain active in the die cast collecting community. I cannot imagine him walking away from what is truly a part of him. He and his wife will be at the Gathering this year again.
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:02 pm

The new Mack could've been one of the best models in a kong time, but is really spoilt by the amount of plastic used on it, especially the rear. At least judging by the picture. Would be interesting to see if one ever turns up in the UK to find out for sure.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:48 pm

First of all I would just like to say a huge thanks to Michael Heralda for all the work he has done over the last decade or so on the Matchbox brand. He has really given it a sense of style that really has improved the look of the models. His dedication to his work is amazing. I remember the story he told of having a camera with him at all times, and when he sees logos and designs he likes he take a picture to then incorporate them in to upcoming models.
Plus it was a real honor to have this model designed by Michael. It was totally unexpected and when it was pointed out to me, I was so shocked and happy about it. Michael told me that this featured my name (Tilley) and Michael's name (Heralda) and the license plate on the front was code for "homage". It was Michael paying homage to me. That was, and still is, one of the biggest privileges I have had in my hobby.

I believe Michael is the last person left of the original El Segundo core crew on the Matchbox brand from when they first took over from Mt Laurel. I am sure that Michael will have ensured that whoever takes over will be able to do him proud. I will really miss him on the Matchbox brand in the future.

Now on to models. The Fire Truck looks okay. Not a fan, and it is sort of average to me. I will collect it as a completeist but I will not be giddy over it. I expect some sort of promo in the coming months based on this casting. The Pit King is fine. But considering it is purple, and we have never had purple before on it, it looks like something that has been done before. I don't know why. The purple VW 4x4 is cool though. I like that one. Not as much as the Aston though. That is lovely. I am really looking forward to getting that one soon.

I did not get that Fischer Art model set, but wish I had. I had an opportunity once to grab a set but the price was a little high. Now prices have risen even more I doubt I will ever own one. It is a nice set.

:) :D :P

66alfa_gtv
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 66alfa_gtv » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Somebody on the Lamely blog commented that the Mack looked brilliant.
In what way does a model with so much cheap and nasty plastic and so-so detailing get the title of brilliant?

Brilliant is the Kyosho line of 1/64 models.
Brilliant is everything Autoworld has done to date (not counting the delux line - it still pretty darn nice).

Cost-cutting cheapo plastic and that 4 part rule (or whatever the number is) is not even close to brilliant.

Return to “'Matchbox Ambassador' Central”