Ambassador's Report 02 September 2015

Find all the latest information, details and pictures from the Matchbox Ambassador.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ambassador's Report 02 September 2015

Postby admin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:10 pm

This is the last report from the Ambassador....

Check out the latest report : http://www.matchboxforum.co.uk/Amby-Reports/mbamb11-update02-20150901.pdf

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Ambassador's Report 02 September 2015

Postby David Tilley » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:15 am

Well, I am starting to have 2 minds over the Best of series now. Unless this is going to be set at a much lower premium rate, I may be passing on it. Don't get me wrong, I like the designs on the models, in particular the Land Rover, I am starting to wonder just what are we seeing in the premium cost? One extra pass through a tampo machine and 2-part wheels. In reality, I am not a fan of these wheels, and think the basic range ones do a better job. Especially on the Caddy. The roof tampo appears to be about the only thing above and beyond a normal hit, and look how sloppily it appears to cover JUST the roof itself.
When if you remember the last premium issue of this casting, how well the roof was done and used the side pillars to come all the way down to the body. Plus it was matt, and gave the impression of a vinyl roof. This new one is a simple gloss tampo hit and doesn't work. It would actually be better without it in my opinion.

It is the same with the bus. The gold is nice, and the side design looks really good. It is geat to see Michael Heralda's 5000th design on a model, and the little logo on there to celebrate is the one thing that could get me to buy this model. It is a significant model in that respect. But the wheels don't suit it, and look at the extra tampo hit we get. Just a simple headlights/grille print. There is nothing on the upper front section. If this series is being targeted around the $2 mark, I think they will be fine. But if it is targeted at the $3 mark or above (like the Supreme Heroes this year), they really should have done more for the money. Full tampo hits at a minimum should be done for a higher spec premium series. A medium spec series you could get away with it, but to me the final touches with the designs on the front, sides and roof are what make a premium model.

That aside, the 2 basics look fantastic. I really like the look of both models and look forward to getting them both. Of course, the same could be said for these too. I would love a Dodge Charger with full tampo hits like the Gathering one we had. Of course, I would happily pay more for basic range models receiving a more complete tampo. The US$1 price tag is now too low, and the US should be significantly upping the price by now. The rest of the world has, but because the US is the biggest market, they are still lowering production costs to pander to that market, forcing sales to become even harder to acheive in markets outside the US.

:) :D :P

BrabusAMG

Postby BrabusAMG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:14 am

I agree; the Cadillac looks terrible for a "premium" model. It looks like I won't be getting all of the Best of World models. Considering that premium lines are usually NZ$5 over here, some of those cars aren't worthy of that price. I also noticed how there are no pictures of the Land Rover's front. I hope it has headlight detail. If they are going to cost $4, I'll look at them. At $5 they would have to be really good.

$3 is the lowest price for a basic range car here, which is far too much, since US$1 would equal roughly NZ$1.50. How much do they cost in Europe?
Mattel, please sell Matchbox to the Simba Dickie Group!

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:57 am

BrabusAMG wrote:I agree; the Cadillac looks terrible for a "premium" model. It looks like I won't be getting all of the Best of World models. Considering that premium lines are usually NZ$5 over here, some of those cars aren't worthy of that price. I also noticed how there are no pictures of the Land Rover's front. I hope it has headlight detail. If they are going to cost $4, I'll look at them. At $5 they would have to be really good.

$3 is the lowest price for a basic range car here, which is far too much, since US$1 would equal roughly NZ$1.50. How much do they cost in Europe?

Going by what previous Matchbox 'premium' lines have been sold for in NZ I'd expect them to be priced at approx. $6.99 - $7.99.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 am

admin wrote:This is the last report from the Ambassador....

Check out the latest report : http://www.matchboxforum.co.uk/Amby-Reports/mbamb11-update02-20150901.pdf

Thanks for posting Brad.
The mainline Tesla and Dodge Charger look good although it'd be nice to get a front tampo hit on the Charger. I love the Land Rover, it looks great and the wheels really suit it. The Caddy on the other hand is bit of a mixed bag, the wheels surprisingly look ok on it but as others have said the roof tampo looks awful. Hopefully the roof will be tidied up on the production models. The motor bike and bus look ok but I can't see them coming home with me.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:16 am

BrabusAMG wrote:I agree; the Cadillac looks terrible for a "premium" model. It looks like I won't be getting all of the Best of World models. Considering that premium lines are usually NZ$5 over here, some of those cars aren't worthy of that price. I also noticed how there are no pictures of the Land Rover's front. I hope it has headlight detail. If they are going to cost $4, I'll look at them. At $5 they would have to be really good.

Over here in the UK they are £1 in Asda supermarkets, when they had them (on offer) and Poundland (where class and quality go to die). But on average they are £1.25 - £1.50. Sometimes higher. A lot more than folk in the US are paying for them. So essentially we are paying top rate for what should be around 75p per car. £1.25 for a mostly plastic or generic car. It's not good.

.......and if you think the high prices are hard to swallow then actually try finding a shop near you that stocks them. The brand is hanging on by a thread here in Europe.

66alfa_gtv
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 66alfa_gtv » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:04 pm

These premium wheels were a bad idea from the start.
For one, low profile knobby tires? In what universe do these make sense?
Busses and vintage Cadillacs don't look right with spoked cast rims, and certainly not with tires like this.
I've read big improvements are on the way way for Matchbox, but this kind of stuff is not encouraging.

BrabusAMG

Postby BrabusAMG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 am

I agree. The tyres are rubbish, especially when compared to the ones that Hot Wheels comes up with. The rims don't look that great either. Just give them regular wheels and be done with it.

What's less encouraging is one of the recent Matchbox posts on Instagram. It seems that whoever does the posting was not aware of the existence of a 1971 Camaro (MB336) -- even though it was used in a 2011 5-pack. He "thought it was a Firebird" -- probably referring to the MB810 Firebird Formula. Did the guy know anything about Matchbox before taking the job?

Does Mattel give Matchbox an agenda with the post-script "By the way, every design has to be awful"?

Why doesn't Mattel just put everyone out of their misery and sell Matchbox to someone decent (preferably European)? Considering recent popularity, it's obviously not profitable for them.
Mattel, please sell Matchbox to the Simba Dickie Group!

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

BrabusAMG wrote:I agree. The tyres are rubbish, especially when compared to the ones that Hot Wheels comes up with. The rims don't look that great either. Just give them regular wheels and be done with it.

What's less encouraging is one of the recent Matchbox posts on Instagram. It seems that whoever does the posting was not aware of the existence of a 1971 Camaro (MB336) -- even though it was used in a 2011 5-pack. He "thought it was a Firebird" -- probably referring to the MB810 Firebird Formula. Did the guy know anything about Matchbox before taking the job?

Does Mattel give Matchbox an agenda with the post-script "By the way, every design has to be awful"?

Why doesn't Mattel just put everyone out of their misery and sell Matchbox to someone decent (preferably European)? Considering recent popularity, it's obviously not profitable for them.

@BrabusAMG please correct me if I am wrong but you are a young guy relatively new to collecting Matchbox.

If I am correct and you do fit in to that summary, then Mattel, Inc. should sit up and take notice of what you have written. You are perfectly accurate with everything you have written and obviously a very smart and astute young man and as a relatively new collector it should be with your words very clear to Mattel that they have not only stuffed up a very profitable brand, lost money in lost sales to collectors of many years but they have also managed to alienate even the young collector, their very future depends on bringing more people to the table to purchase their product and they are failing in that and alienating those that they require to prosper in the future.

Well said mate !!!!

mbx64
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mbx64 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 pm

BrabusAMG wrote: Did the guy know anything about Matchbox before taking the job?
Gerry Cody seems to care more about the brand integrity than who we've had in the past. Of course they were financially restrained, but Cody is determined to put the brand on the right path.

I think we actually have an advantage to having someone who (maybe) does not have a sharp knowledge on cars and Matchbox. If he knew the brand too well, and had been collecting for years, he would have formed his own very specific (as we find from collectors here) tastes and opinions about what to do with the brand. These precise goals often have to do with their own interests, not with the brand itself in the long run. Although we care about the brand a lot, I think one of us ever being a part of the company could be a bad idea. He looks at the brand in a broader sense and as something that he does not take a particular bias in because it is not an overwhelming part of his free-time; it is mostly work. Someone like that probably gains a much better vantage point and has a better ability to find poor traits whereas collectors have been submerged with the brand so long that some things oddly become familiar and other things unnecessarily dwelled upon.

You have to give the man a chance before you question him, too. Any models coming out now had no oversight from him, as Mattel works on an 18 month-advance schedule. This means you won't see any of his direction in the brand until 2017.

Then you can question if he knows anything about the brand. From what is going around, he could be the best thing for it in years.

I will argue that the wheels are a disaster. Matchbox usually hits them out of the ballpark, but these are searching for an identity. Low-profile deep-treaded tires with spoked truck rims. Huh?!? And this line does not have the same execution as premium ones in the past.

Return to “'Matchbox Ambassador' Central”