The Landy's Journey Continues

A forum to watch and learn all about the journey of the Matchbox Land Rover as it travels the world.
keefyd
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: The Landy's Journey Continues

Postby keefyd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 am

For folk that simply cannot be bothered giving TOF some hits.....

I have to say, I think that the text is quite insulting to Jim G, despite the olive branch offered by Jom G to this day reaching out to MC.....

administor
Reluctor Nos Ultum
07-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by eel59 View Post
if this is being done merely for the benefit of Mattel ... what IS the point?

Welcome to the MCCH. The MCCH started a similar journey back in 2007 with a plain VW in orange. It was taken by one of the recipients and lost to us.

The Landy was not, and I do not believe it is now, used for Mattel's benefit. (Other than a general promotional awareness.) Mattel fell through on their own side of the adventure by not really sticking to the plan to promote it on the mainline packaging backs if the blistercards.

The project was conceived by Jim G and I prior to a previous MCCH International Gathering of Friends. It was to be used to promote the MCCH and be featured prominetly in the MCCH Gatherings as a conversation piece and advertising for the event. Jim worked it our with Michael Heralda and the Mattel lawyers and Team. It was broadly featured here and was an MCCH coordinated project, with the photos posted here for all to see.

With the parting of Jim's Route 66 Promotions business and the MCCH, there was a bit of tension over this Landy.... Everything in the passport booklet and presented up to that point told the MCCH web site where the person was to follow the journey. It was intended by me to have it continue on its journey with no end date, and to return to the MCCH Gathering of Friends every year so we could see the details.

Michael Heralda stepped in with an MCCH member who had iit in Mexico when it became clear that Jim wanted to use it for his version of the Gathering. Michael asked it to be turned over to Jim, instead of continuing along with the MCCH. The Landy was indeed still Mattel's property. It was turned over to Jim and was revamped, striking the references to the MCCH. Jim has said from year to year that he would auction it off for his employer's charity at the following Gathering. He is now apparently keeping it going longer.

It was a project that I truly enjoyed seeing. The photos and interesting places where it was "touring" were astounding and very mesmerizing. Alas, I know nothing about its current locations or its tour. I wanted to started something again here at the MCCH, but with all the rancor that Jim and others have cultivated over the decision to not continue the MCCH and Route 66 Productions relationship, I felt that it would again be stolen and misdirected at some point.

If anybody wishes, and with enough of a interest, The next MCCH Promotional Color Comp release could have a special model dedicated to this.
http://www.matchbox1-75.co.uk - UK Matchbox Superfast 1-75 Miniatures from 1969 to date.

https://keefydblog.wordpress.com - blogging about diecast, sport and stuff.

Bill50
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Bill50 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am

He better send out a tube of superglue to stop the paint falling off, i bet no one got a refund. :mrgreen:
Happy Days we are getting out of the EU

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I do not even read his rantings. There is nowhere on the passport which ties it to a single board. It was only posted there as it was the easiest place to post. No agreement, contract or secret handshake. I think that everyone should be able to contribute and join in the fun. With all the banned collectors, tof is not in the running for such a place. In fact even non board members are welcome. I hope to get this on track again as time permits and even invite a volunteer to track and forward it as it journeys around the world.

However, anyone can post here so it is where the journey will stay for now. Yes Mark, you can play but you have to play nice. I have tried to let Mark come fourth and be a fellow collector as we all share the same interest, but he continues to pout and say he is not welcome. I challenge him to produce a single tread to back this up. He reads this forum and knows I invited him to e Gathering and even offered to buy his dinner?

I now give up on him and hope he gets the care he truly needs. He has to grow up and be a big boy. I can no longer play his games.

Next topic?
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

Bill50
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Bill50 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Jimgallegos wrote:I do not even read his rantings. There is nowhere on the passport which ties it to a single board. It was only posted there as it was the easiest place to post. No agreement, contract or secret handshake. I think that everyone should be able to contribute and join in the fun. With all the banned collectors, tof is not in the running for such a place. In fact even non board members are welcome. I hope to get this on track again as time permits and even invite a volunteer to track and forward it as it journeys around the world.

However, anyone can post here so it is where the journey will stay for now. Yes Mark, you can play but you have to play nice. I have tried to let Mark come fourth and be a fellow collector as we all share the same interest, but he continues to pout and say he is not welcome. I challenge him to produce a single tread to back this up. He reads this forum and knows I invited him to e Gathering and even offered to buy his dinner?

I now give up on him and hope he gets the care he truly needs. He has to grow up and be a big boy. I can no longer play his games.

Next topic?

He should have popped in to see you last week at the gathering as he was around.
Happy Days we are getting out of the EU

TinMan
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby TinMan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 am

I realize that some people would not view my comments about this as objective, regardless, much of the Curtis commentary is just sad revisionist history and grandstanding. The Land Rover was never an mcch project. It was never about promoting the mcch. It was a fun thing to unite collectors together with Matchbox. As Jim noted, much of the Curtis commentary is simply "made up.".

"Michael Heralda stepped in with an MCCH member who had iit in Mexico when it became clear that Jim wanted to use it for his version of the Gathering".

"Jim wanted to use it for his version of the Gathering" ... WTF! Has there ever been any other version of the Gathering? Besides soliciting for donations and scooping up the cash from the auction ... Mr. Curtis has never, ever provided for or assisted in any way with regard to organizing the event.

"The Landy was indeed still Mattel's property."

This part he got right!

matchboxmarcel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxmarcel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 am

I still miss the photos !
I am not saying who owns this model or speak about all the blessing but one thing is for sure and that there are no photos posted of this model for a very long time.
I was one of the 1st 10 people who got the model and we all posted photos of the model in our city or collections.
The last place it was before the gathering of last weekend was Lebanon. Who did see the photos? (and of many places before)
What's the sence of going around the globe without posting pictures?
This model will be lost someday if we can not get the posting of photos ungoing.
Especially as it is planned to go to Mattel in a year from now (the same company who lost all, yes ALL, the Models of Yesteryear moulds) no-one will ever remember this model in 5 years from now. Maybe staff at Mattel do know of the model now but by taking new personel all the time and changing of staff quicker then quick who knows about this model in a few years time?
Where are the detailled photos of this model as I just read above that the model seems to have been changed recently by Mattel to get the boardlogo off.?
I would like to see that. Most of us do have digital camera's so why not posting photos so that we all can following it?
It was at the Gathering last weekend. Allthough I have seen over 100 nice photos from this weekend including many detailed photos of preproduction models, auctionlots etc (many photos were from Jason and John, many thanks you for those pictures) I didn't see any photos of the Land Rover there. Or why not taking a photo of the model in John Lambert's little photostudio he had in his hotelroom? He took so many beautifull photos there last weekend so it would have been only a little more effort to take some new photos of the Landrover.
Man would think there would be a special moment for it during the speeches. Was it?
And I remember very clearly this model would go around for 1 year only.
It would have been nice if all the contributors got a free donation model in the post similar to the special gathering models.
This would have been a positive thing for Mattel to do. All the addresses of the contributors are in the passport or are known as the model was sent to them in the 1st place anyway.
Collectors spent a fortune on postage to sent it as far away as possible. (that's was the original idea) so what's the input from Mattel in this?
I made 9 photos at the time here in my town and place and post 2 photos in this treath to show them as an example of it. After the photos were taken the Landrover was sent on as quickly as possible.

marcel
Last edited by matchboxmarcel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 am

The Landys full journey right from the begining can be viewed in this thread --> http://cobratoys.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=871

All of the information, images and original commentary was copied from the MCCH and reproduced here as the fear was that it may be lost forever if left only in its original place. You can follow the Landys journey from the begining in that thread and I strongly urge anyone who hasnt had a look to do so as it has been to some fantastic places all over this world, including a stop with myself and a trip around the Mt. Panorama racing circuit.

If anyone has images of his latest travels it would be most appreciated if they were either posted here directly or you can point me in the direction of where they might be so I can add them to the story created in this thread. If for whatever reason the person with images and stories of the Landy's current travels doesnt want to post them here then at least let us know where we can see them or send them in a private email direct to me so we can include them in this wonderful travel log.

matchboxmarcel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxmarcel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 am

Thank you Brad to put the link of the photos on in this treath.
The photos from Paul Carr of the Landrover at the former Lesney Place in London are very nice.
These are from november 2012.
I hope to see pictures of the Landrover where it was the last 8 months.
In the beginning we (the contributors) used to post pictures of the Landrover at least once every 2 weeks which seems a lot different to 8 months.
I was also a bit disapointed not to see it on one of the many photos at the gathering.

regards
marcel

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:58 am

I can answer the questions you ask. I moved and had to focus on getting settled, my work is almost 70 hours a week and we just finished the Gathering. It was on the podium at the Gathering and was updated. I am not home but on holidays so unable to post pics I took at the event. I promise to get it on track as soon as possible. The model is and has always been for all collectors regardless of where you go for information. This past year has been very slow on travel for the model. Paul Carr, Hardy Ristau and Naji had the model visit. I could use help with moving, tracking and posting pics of the travels if someone would like to step fourth and help. I will continue to forward the model as long as possible before retiring it. A cd was distributed at the Gathering 2 years back and may another in the future.

My apologies for the delay bit there are just not enough hours in the day to do all I wish I could. Be patient all and thanks,

Jim
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

keefyd
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby keefyd » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am

Jimgallegos wrote:I can answer the questions you ask. I moved and had to focus on getting settled, my work is almost 70 hours a week and we just finished the Gathering. It was on the podium at the Gathering and was updated. I am not home but on holidays so unable to post pics I took at the event. I promise to get it on track as soon as possible. The model is and has always been for all collectors regardless of where you go for information. This past year has been very slow on travel for the model. Paul Carr, Hardy Ristau and Naji had the model visit. I could use help with moving, tracking and posting pics of the travels if someone would like to step fourth and help. I will continue to forward the model as long as possible before retiring it. A cd was distributed at the Gathering 2 years back and may another in the future.

My apologies for the delay bit there are just not enough hours in the day to do all I wish I could. Be patient all and thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Happy to help here if you need a hand - just let me know what needs to be done.

KD
http://www.matchbox1-75.co.uk - UK Matchbox Superfast 1-75 Miniatures from 1969 to date.

https://keefydblog.wordpress.com - blogging about diecast, sport and stuff.

Return to “The Landy's Journey”