The Journey Begins

A forum to watch and learn all about the journey of the Matchbox Land Rover as it travels the world.
matchboxmarcel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: The Journey Begins

Postby matchboxmarcel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 am

More photos I had on my computer and which I took in 2010 when the model was here.
(these photos were not posted at the time as I selected other photos at the time)

Hope some-one can post some detailled photos here of the model now as it seems it has been changed recently.

marcel

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 am

The Landy visited Lebanon with Naji, I have spoken with him and the photos will be coming soon

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

After Lebanon, the intrepid journey of the Landy took him to the city that never sleeps and whilst in New York with David he really got to see the great sights of this great city.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:54 am

Firstly I appologise publicly to Sammy Fox, the Landy had a visit with him prior to heading to New York but I neglected to publish his report in the correct order so here it is :

The Landy arrived here in the San Luis Obispo area on the California Central Coast back in August. Being a busy time of year in my profession the photos and story are a bit delayed so for that I apologize.

Upon it’s arrival I gave the Landy a good once over…

I can tell you that she is starting to show her mileage as the names of the MB Design team members are beginning to fade and wear off.

Battle scars aside the Landy was welcomed to the Central Coast by some distant cousins of various different brands.

Once the Landy got introduced it was time for a tour of SLO City which is roughly the half way point between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

First stop was the building that first put SLO on the map – Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. The mission was built in 1772 and named for St. Louis the Bishop of Toulouse.

Of course you can’t visit SLO without going to the world famous Madonna Inn –

Here the Landy poses in front of the Alex Madonna Memorial Statue at the entrance of the Madonna Inn –

What better way to get a look at SLO than from on top of SLO City Fire Department’s four story training tower –

So, while at SLO City Fire Station 1 it was time for a quick visit with some Matchbox models from the area –

And then of course the Landy had to take a few pics with the real thing…

Like Truck 1 -

And Squad 1 -

You can’t visit Fire Station 1 without checking out the SLO City Fire Museum which houses historic fire apparatus and equipment from SLO City Fire’s past such as our 1905 Horse-drawn Seagrave Chemical Wagon, 1923 Seagrave Pumper and 1941 Mack Pumper (all of which spent lengthy careers in SLO City and were restored by members of our firefighters’ union - IAFF Local 3523)

Here’s a close up of the Landy sitting on the ’23 Seagrave with a painting of the SLO Mission in the background –

And going for a ride with my two favorite guys –

And just like firemen back in the day, the Landy had to “ride tailboard” on the ’23 –

Among the many historical items to see at the SLO City Fire Museum is the original harnesses from SLOFD which were donated may years ago to the department by a local millionaire named William Randolph Hearst (Hearst Castle) The leather work is in the process of being restored by of duty firemen and will one day be used to pull our Seagrave Wagon once again.

The Landy also got a tour of the training tower and live-fire burn buildings –

Well, the fun could only last for so long… and then it was time to go to work. So, the Landy came to Fire Station 3 for a 24 hour ride-along with SLO City’s Medic Engine 3 –

Aside from running about 10 emergency calls which can’t be shown here, the Landy did get to be around for a little bit of training. Strangely enough, this car somehow burst in to flames while the Landy was sitting the next to it –

Not to worry, it was quickly taken care of by Engine Company 3’s Fireman –

OK, so what do you do after a busy shift at work? …. You go to Disneyland, that’s what!!!

Which of course includes the Jungle Cruise –

And the Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye –

The Disneyland Railroad –

The Matterhorn –

And last but certainly not least a ride on the Disneyland Monorail. Of course the Landy gets first class seats where ever she goes so why not front row in the Captain’s cabin of the Monorail –

If the Landy had arms it probably could have taken the helm –

Of course the Landy couldn’t visit someplace like Disneyland with a fireman and not have to visit the local firehouses.

Like Disney’s Toon Town Station -

and the Main Street Fire House –

The Landy had a fun trip to the SLO area and the Central Coast of California and my kids were sad to see her leave.

After all was said and done we signed her passport and sent her on her way to the East Coast of the US for a visit with another collector.

Hopefully she keeps racking up the miles and sees more parts of the world than we can ever hope to visit in a lifetime. Thanks for including my family and I in the journey.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 am

Firstly I appologise publicly to Sammy Fox, the Landy had a visit with him prior to heading to New York but I neglected to publish his report in the correct order so here it is :

The Landy arrived here in the San Luis Obispo area on the California Central Coast back in August. Being a busy time of year in my profession the photos and story are a bit delayed so for that I apologize.

Upon it’s arrival I gave the Landy a good once over…

I can tell you that she is starting to show her mileage as the names of the MB Design team members are beginning to fade and wear off.

Battle scars aside the Landy was welcomed to the Central Coast by some distant cousins of various different brands.

Once the Landy got introduced it was time for a tour of SLO City which is roughly the half way point between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

First stop was the building that first put SLO on the map – Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. The mission was built in 1772 and named for St. Louis the Bishop of Toulouse.

Of course you can’t visit SLO without going to the world famous Madonna Inn –

Here the Landy poses in front of the Alex Madonna Memorial Statue at the entrance of the Madonna Inn –

What better way to get a look at SLO than from on top of SLO City Fire Department’s four story training tower –

So, while at SLO City Fire Station 1 it was time for a quick visit with some Matchbox models from the area –

And then of course the Landy had to take a few pics with the real thing…

Like Truck 1 -

And Squad 1 -

You can’t visit Fire Station 1 without checking out the SLO City Fire Museum which houses historic fire apparatus and equipment from SLO City Fire’s past such as our 1905 Horse-drawn Seagrave Chemical Wagon, 1923 Seagrave Pumper and 1941 Mack Pumper (all of which spent lengthy careers in SLO City and were restored by members of our firefighters’ union - IAFF Local 3523)

Here’s a close up of the Landy sitting on the ’23 Seagrave with a painting of the SLO Mission in the background –

And going for a ride with my two favorite guys –

And just like firemen back in the day, the Landy had to “ride tailboard” on the ’23 –

Among the many historical items to see at the SLO City Fire Museum is the original harnesses from SLOFD which were donated may years ago to the department by a local millionaire named William Randolph Hearst (Hearst Castle) The leather work is in the process of being restored by of duty firemen and will one day be used to pull our Seagrave Wagon once again.

The Landy also got a tour of the training tower and live-fire burn buildings –

Well, the fun could only last for so long… and then it was time to go to work. So, the Landy came to Fire Station 3 for a 24 hour ride-along with SLO City’s Medic Engine 3 –

Aside from running about 10 emergency calls which can’t be shown here, the Landy did get to be around for a little bit of training. Strangely enough, this car somehow burst in to flames while the Landy was sitting the next to it –

Not to worry, it was quickly taken care of by Engine Company 3’s Fireman –

OK, so what do you do after a busy shift at work? …. You go to Disneyland, that’s what!!!

Which of course includes the Jungle Cruise –

And the Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye –

The Disneyland Railroad –

The Matterhorn –

And last but certainly not least a ride on the Disneyland Monorail. Of course the Landy gets first class seats where ever she goes so why not front row in the Captain’s cabin of the Monorail –

If the Landy had arms it probably could have taken the helm –

Of course the Landy couldn’t visit someplace like Disneyland with a fireman and not have to visit the local firehouses.

Like Disney’s Toon Town Station -

and the Main Street Fire House –

The Landy had a fun trip to the SLO area and the Central Coast of California and my kids were sad to see her leave.

After all was said and done we signed her passport and sent her on her way to the East Coast of the US for a visit with another collector.

Hopefully she keeps racking up the miles and sees more parts of the world than we can ever hope to visit in a lifetime. Thanks for including my family and I in the journey.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 pm

The Landy has been travelling the East in the more than capable hands of Dave Weise & Mark Jones.

After fun & games in New York, New York, USA the Landy was hastily recalled to the Mattel, Inc head office in El Sugundo, California where it was then whisked off to visit the country of its birth, the beautiful country of Thailand. Mattel, Inc. employees Dave Weise & Mark Jones carefully stowed the Landy in their luggage and took him to see one of the famous landmarks of Thailand, The Bridge on the River Kwai. This is the bridge built during World War II by Commonwealth, Dutch and American prisoners of war.

"During WW II, Japan constructed the meter-gauge railway line from Ban Pong, Thailand to Thanbyuzayat, Burma. The line passing through the scenic Three Pagodas Pass runs for 250 miles. This is now known as the Death Railway.

The railway line was meant to transport cargo daily to India, to back up their planned attack on India. The construction was done using POWs and Asian slave laborers in unfavorable conditions. The work started in October 1942 was completed in a year. Due to the difficult terrain, thousands of laborers lost their lives. It is believed that one life was lost for each sleeper laid in the track"
Courtesy of http://www.bridgeriverkwai.com/

Some more interesting facts on the bridge & the film it inspired :

- The round truss spans are the originals; the angular replacements were supplied by the Japanese as war reparations.

- The 1957 film about the bridge was based on a 1952 book by French novelist Pierre Boulle.

- The film is a work of fiction but borrows the construction of the Burma Railway in 1942–43 for its historical setting.

- The film was filmed in Ceylon, Sri Lanka. The bridge in the film was located near Kitulgala

- The film achieved near-universal critical acclaim, winning seven Acadamy Awards (including Best Picture) at the 30th Acadamy Awards

- In 1997 this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation in the United States Library of Congress National Film Registry.

Check out this stop on the journey at http://www.mcgathering.com/11-landy/48-stop-28-thailand where you will also find the rest of the journey plus some amazing statistics on how far the little fellow has travelled so far.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Michael Heralda has just posted some great photos of the Landy taken at Mattel HQ on the Landy's facebook page.

The photo's are the Landy catching up with loads of other little Matchbox friends....

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri May 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Stop 30 - Kalahari , South Africa

A big thanks to Tjaart Booyens for this wonderful stopover in South Africa

The Landy arrive in the Kalahari semi desert 18 March 2014.. This is the road to our small town Postmasburg(10 km outside town). 

We had a quick look around at the scenery and proceed into town.

At home it was time to meet some new friends.

And some more.......

And a VERY BIG Aston Martin.........

And some older fellows.......

And then it was time to meet SAND...... Not far from town there is this very yellow and white sand dunes, in the middle of nowhere and declared a nature reserve. Whitesand is a one of just a few places on earth where you find the finest sand.
The Witsand Nature Reserve is truly a beautiful spot to visit. Witsand is a rare jewel found in the
treasure house of the Kalahari. This gorgeous nature reserve boasts a large spectacular vista of
creamy white dunes, 10 km long and 5 km wide, nestling in the folds of the surrounding red Kalahari
dunes. Interestingly, apart from their unique colour, these dunes are also famed for the eerie roaring
sound that the sands at Brulsand make when they are disturbed

Pictured here with a glass pipe that is formed when lightning hit the sand.They are also quite rare to come by.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:29 pm

The latest stop in the Landy's journey is now up on the official website.

http://www.mcgathering.com/11-landy/51-stop-31-clacton-on-sea-england

SGP

Postby SGP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:51 pm

There is one of those very rare silver AEC MB35's currently on the Bay of E for a very rare price.
The seller is offering free postage so can't complain really.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Matchbox-35C-Mer ... 4ac8e0ed85
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Landy's Journey”