The Journey Begins

A forum to watch and learn all about the journey of the Matchbox Land Rover as it travels the world.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Journey Begins

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

Originally posted 07-29-2010 11:19 PM by jimgallegos

Mattel has provided us with a model to begin an around the world journey. It started in El Segundo and will travel around the world for 1 year to end up at the Gathering. This model has a special passport and a special mission. It must be forwarded and tracked on this thread with assocoiated pictures. It must not stay in a single place for more than 2 day and should be photographed with a site unique to your area. It must always go east. If you have an unusual place or mode of transportation to transport the model, please photograph and attach the piece here. If you cannot fulfill these requirements, do not accept the model. Once you receive the model.

1) Read the passport guidelines.
2) Sign and date the passport.
3) Fill in your location on the passport.
4) Get a postal stamp on the passport (place in a single grid with #2&3 above)
5)Get your unique photograph(s) and post in this forum
6) Forward to the next person within 2 days.
7)track the progress in this forum.

Email me with who you are forwarding to and date mailed.

Thanks,

This will be fun if we all cooperate.

Have fun,

Jim G.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Journey Begins

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am

Originally posted 07-29-2010 11:23 PM by jimgallegos

The Journey continues from El Segundo to Albuquerque. The 2010 Gathering was the first stop. Here the model is shown in front of the GOBO projection at the Marriott hotel.

On to PA and Mustang Sandy.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 am

Originally posted 08-09-2010 11:20 PM by MustangSandy

Mileage so far is 1649 miles.

The Little Landy made it's way to Pittsburg, PA and Sandy. Vintage aircraft were on the menu for the day.

The Allegheny County Airport was my Pittsburgh destination where I met the pilot
of the North American T-6 and the Mitchell B-25 warbirds. It was great fun to
take a tour of the old planes and meet the flight crew. The next destination is
Hamburg, Germany. You may post my pics on the MCCH if you wish.

Thanks for visiting Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!

MustangSandy

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 am

Originally posted 08-19-2010 05:58 PM by the kay

Hurrray!!! The Land Rover is here.

Yesterday I picked him up at the German customs office - I had to answer a lot of questions, but I was able to answer them in a proper way (Who sent it to you? What have you paid for it on peepay? Why was it sent for free?), so they even allowed me to put them on one of the official German customs lab coats!

But that was not the nice place I wanted to take the Landy......
So the next day I took him to the Miniatur Wunderwelt - the largest toy train layout in the world
(http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/).

It really is unbelievable how large it is, how many different landscapes they have built and how many tiny detals are there!!
This is the computerized control center, with 40 computers and lots of monitors.

The Landy in front of the control center before we went into the adventure:

I asked for permission to take the model to the train layout, so I was allowed to put it there from the normal public side without breaking anything. The whole picture session took place while the normal public was around, so I got a few puzzled gazes!
The next three hours, the Landy took a long lourney to different countries - here are a few pictures:

The Landy in front of the Hamburg football stadium,

including 12.000 (!!!) miniature people and a functionable TV screen!!

Then we went south and crossed the boarder to the Switzerland...

In the Alps of Switzerland

Helping the local musicians with their alpenhorns

In the lower regions of Switzerland, he found a crowd of 20.000 miniture people attending a huge pop festival...

Then we headed back north again - on the way, our friend joined the local German police to help in a crime scene:

In Scandinavia, he went up to the most northern regions near the Russian border to help the coal mining workers of Kiruna (Norway):

After this hard and cold work, it was time to enter the "Superfast VII", a large car carrier ship on the way to the US.....

btw. this ship swims in real water - tons of water! - and is steered by radio control. But they are working on automatic self-control!!

In the US, we mainly went through some Canyonlands adventures

Then a short stop on Texas grounds (reminds me of some pictures from our chief admin's last journey!?)

Finally we reached Cape Caneveral, and the Landy suddenly disappeared....on the way to the moon????

No, I'm sure he now is on the way to New Zealand!!
Have a safe journey, my friend!!

Kay

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am

Originally posted 08-19-2010 10:16 PM by jimgallegos

Great finish Kay,

What a place I would love to visit. Amazing detail. 4042 miles from Sandy. Total miles to date = 815 (El Segundo to Abq., 1649 miles to Pa., 4042 miles to Germany = 6505 miles.

Thanks, Alan Browne will be our next receipient.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:02 am

Originally posted 08-20-2010 06:46 AM by the kay

I could have taken many many more pictures, it is so much detail in there!
I actually was not able to get real deep onto the layout - it is much too huge to reach it without stopping traffics....
Nearly everything really works and moves - so at the concert stage, you have a real light and sound show and even moving dancers. You have moving cars everywhere, and they are not static!
The Space Shuttle starts from time to time, you have action all around - and they have a simulation of night and day every few minutes.

Here are a few more details:
http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/e...derland-facts/

If you ever come to visiting Hamburg, this is a must!!
But it is always packed full of visitors from early until late!! (and ALL their kids go crazy because of the overdose!!) LOL

Kay

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am

Originally posted 09-03-2010 07:21 PM by nzallen

Jim & Kay - the Landy has arrived - it came to my office on Thursday while I was away on business.
A bit jet lagged after the jaunt from Kay's hospitality in Deutschland, and taking in a few morning rays on the backdeck before we head out to the Auckland harbour for a brief tour.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

Originally posted 09-10-2010 06:16 AM by nzallen

Hello all,
Apologies for the delay - I took the Landy up to the top of One Tree Hill (as sung about by U2) which is an extinct volcanic cone overlooking Auckland City. It is a wonderful lookout - but unfortunately a few years back a Maori protester terminally damagedthe old tree - see historic pictures here

Image Image

We took some pics and then that evening I felt ill and a visit to White Cross ended up in me being sent to Hospital where I stayed on an IV drip most of the time with some dire abdominal problems. This evening I was released after a clear ct scan - a bit sore and heavily medicated.
My good wife sent the Landy and passport away after filling it in for me to Gerald in the USA three days ago - so it shouldn't be too far from finishing its first jaunt around the globe - how many can we do???????

So these pics are from last weekend -
Here the Landy has a view of the city - the sky tower is a little indistinct - probably more my camerawork than the day

(here is an old Sky Tower picture of my kids a few years back - Nathans toy dates the pic a bit )

So - we moseyed around the cenotaph - here is the old crater - now nice and verdant green grass.

Then further around you can see some of the other harbour (from here you can see both sides of the country - pretty skinny at this point and a comfortable hald-day walk from the east coast to the west coast in Auckland

- Mt Eden is in the middle of the grey central area.
How big are we next to the USA ?- well - here is ew Zealand and Australia with ocean gap plotted onto the USA at the same scale.....

Hmm - back to One Tree Hill - this time of year is lambing - and here are spring twins on the slopes just beneath the crest.

Thanks to all for the previous posts!!

Here is the star of the show - currently winging its way to Gerald:

Gerald, let us know when it arrives safely. Enjoy your stopover.
Best to all
Allen

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am

Originally posted 09-10-2010 05:54 PM by the kay

Tomica wrote:Kay, they allow you to put your toy on the set? Then I will bring my Kombie there when I visit next year. You live in Hamburg? My boss is there now for the SMM.

Hi Julian,

sorry for my late respones - I just didn't notice your message in time!
I asked the management for the permission of putting this special car to the layout - I told them about the whole process around this one-of-a-kind car, and they gave me the permission.
They have a control center with lots of monitors, so they can see you everywhere. The control center people knew I was there with my orange Landy to put it to the layout.
I guess they would stop you from doing something like that quite fast if you have no permission!

I live close to Hamburg, and I have read about the SMM fair. So you come to visit Hamburg next year?

P.S. If you want to participate in this action, get in contact with Jim Gallegos - there is a need for more participating members from Asia!

Best regards
Kay

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 am

Originally posted 09-17-2010 09:38 PM by mokonut

The Landy has safely made it to Bluegrass country! Found its' way to Bowling Green Kentucky!

Took it right away to the National Corvette Museum:

Next stop: Tomorrow, Saturday 18 September, we have been invited to show our miniature horses at a local Thoroughbred live racing track. What else more Kentucky than hoss racing! Will try and get a jockey to pose with Landy!

Then, hope to travel to Mammoth Cave on Sunday, before sending it to Canada on Sunday! Headed to Newcastle, Ontario. Keep an eye out for it, Glen!

Return to “The Landy's Journey”