The Journey Begins

A forum to watch and learn all about the journey of the Matchbox Land Rover as it travels the world.
Sergoids
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: The Journey Begins

Postby Sergoids » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:36 pm

I somehow missed Toyrfic's post. Great pictures ! My sincere compliments !

where is the landy now ?

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 am

The Landy is on its way to Hong Hong. Stay tuned.
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 am

I'm delighted to report that the Landy has arrived safely in HK earlier this week. Let's see what interesting places it's going to take me.....

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Great, I look forward to seeing the beautiful pictures from Hong Kong. Thanks for participating.
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

Sergoids
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Sergoids » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Hong Kong calling.... where is the landy ? ;)

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:46 am

Sorry for the long wait. The Landy has come to the Far East finally. Let's see some interesting places in Hong Kong that the Landy brought me to.

First we are at the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront. There we can see an unobstructed view of the Hong Kong island across the Victoria Harbour. The building above the Landy is the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, one of the landmark in Hong Kong. It is also the venue where the Hong Kong Toys & Games Fairs take place every year. The fair is the biggest toy industry event in Asia.
hkIMG_0066s.jpg

Another angle looking across the harbour. To the right it's one of the tallest building in Hong Kong, the International Finance Centre, featured in the movie "Batman: The Dark Knight" where the Batman jumped over from the roof of the building.
hkIMG_0075as.jpg

Next, the Landy travelled by MTR. The Mass Transit Railway (MTR) is the most convenient transportation in Hong Kong. But this MTR is a bit different from the ordinary MTR. Do you see what's the special?
hkIMG_0044s.jpg

(I'll continue on next post as it said only 3 attachments are allowed)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:20 am

You all probably noted from the special MTR that our next destination is the Hong Kong Disneyland.
hkIMG_0015s.jpg

Next, we were at Central, the CBD of Hong Kong. One of the famous bronze lion statues in front of HSBC headquarter building. The Landy is being naughty :)
hk20150424_133726s.jpg

Then we went from Central to Wanchai by tram. These double-deck trams is a distinct transportation (over 100 years) that still running in Hong Kong today.
hk20150424_115342s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:04 am

An unique Demon-Exorcising Service Area under the Goose-Neck Bridge, Wanchai. It's actually a Chinese ancient art of hitting a paper doll representing person that have bad influence on your life, mostly enemy of you I'd say, while the "exorcist" mumbling chants. Entertaining.
hk20150424_115055s.jpg

At Tai Yuen Street, Wanchai. Crowdy Hong Kong. Noticed the place we're heading to?
hk20150424_121853s.jpg

Met thousands of diecast models inside Hung Hing Toys. It's the biggest while being one of the few toy shops left that still sells diecast cars.
hk20150424_123408s.jpg

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:50 am

Looking back to Tsim Sha Tsui from Wanchai waterfront (Yes we have gone across the harbour, forgot to mention previously). Above the Landy is the Hong Kong Cultural Centre and the Clock Tower to the left. Both are landmarks of Hong Kong.
hk20150424_125604s.jpg

After all day running, need to fill up some petrol Landy?
hk20150425_071130s.jpg

Passing by a police station. It'd be nice if the Hong Kong police livery can be used on a Matchbox.
hk20150425_071423s.jpg

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 am

The Landy with my collection of Hong Kong promotional Matchbox models. The yellow plinth was an old Hong Kong Matchbox display plinth. The Chinese words on the plinth says "British Matchbox Miniature Car Toys".
IMG_0025ss.jpg

As we know, Hong Kong had much connections with Matchbox. It'd be interesting to visit the places connected to Matchbox historically while we have the accompaniment of the Landy. So here comes the "Then and Now" section.

The connection began from the late 1970s when Lesney contracted out some of the Matchbox production to Universal Group in Hong Kong. I did some search trying to find out the Hong Kong factory that had those Matchbox produced in the late 1970s but without much luck. Most likely they were produced by a company called Universal Die-casting Co Ltd. The company was setup by David Yeh back in 1966 (probably his first company) with the business address at Muk Min Ha, Tsuen Wan. Unfortunately no further information can be found. So we jump to the 1980s, the Universal Matchbox era.

After Universal Group (actually the formal name should be Universal International (Holdings) Ltd.) purchased Matchbox from Lesney's receiver, the headquarter of Matchbox (Matchbox International Ltd) was relocated to Hong Kong from 1983. It was at the 8th Floor of Tung Ying Building, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, the same location as the Universal Group headquarter. [THEN]
h0-20150519_065036ss.jpg

The Tung Ying Building was demolished few years ago. The new building erected on the same site is called "The One". [NOW]
h1-IMG_0061s.jpg

to be continued... (much more to come)

Return to “The Landy's Journey”