Scania-Vabis Holiday Special

Models of Yesteryear and Matchbox Collectibles ranges
Hades

Scania-Vabis Holiday Special

Postby Hades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm not particularly a collector of HotWheels, but I was at an estate sell, and found something. The box says it's a Scania-Vabis Holiday Special. The copyright date on the car itself says 1988. It came with the box, the protective plastic, and a certificate of authenticity. The car looks brand new still, as does the box.

I'm looking for some more information about this car. Cool facts about it, how rare it is, how valuable it is. Anything. It came with the box, plastic wrap, certificate, and car. All of which are in mint condition. The car also has two spare tires on it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill50
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Scania-Vabis Holiday Special

Postby Bill50 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Scania-Vabis was a Swedish truck and car manufacturer that existed from 1911 to 1968. The company was formed when Scania merged with Vabis. Car production ended in 1929. Ultimately, the name Vabis was dropped in 1968.

Looks like a xmas ornament model to me and unless someone knows better i would put the value down as nil.
Happy Days we are getting out of the EU

matchboxmarcel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxmarcel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm

This certainly not a HOTWHEELS !
This is a Matchbox Models of Yesteryear model.

marcel

Hades

Postby Hades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 pm

There isn't any hole or spot where a hook could go to hang it in a tree though. I tried googling about the car and found other versions of the Scania-Vabis but others weren't white or with a tree on top.

Vinra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Vinra » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Got a picture of the box you can share with us, and maybe the certificate of authenticity? That should tell us a lot, even if it's just a white box. Anything with verbage on it will help identify a model, like maybe even the base of the model itself.

Hades

Postby Hades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 pm

First and second back are front and back of the box, respectively.
Third picture, side shot of the box. Other side has nothing.
Fourth picture, the protective plastic. It was already damaged when I got it. It is also engraved with YSC01. That's all there is. The car just sits inside the plastic.
There was another box, but it's just a plain white box. Probably the box it was shipped in.

Hades

Postby Hades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Sorry about your broken neck now. I couldn't figure how to turn the pictures in the correct orientation. Sorry.

johnnyfootballhero

Postby johnnyfootballhero » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Short on time now, but I can tell you the original 1988 issue is yellow. This is a reissue from when Matchbox Collectibles took over. Models of Yesteryear have depreciated in value since I collected them, but some of the Matchbox Collectibles ones seem rare, Dinky especially. I doubt this is of great value, nor is it worthless. $15 perhaps?

Hades

Postby Hades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Alright thank you. I wasn't expecting a lot. I just thought it looked cool and unique so I got it. Thanks again.

johnnyfootballhero

Postby johnnyfootballhero » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 am

Good news! The white one apparently is considerably more valuable than the yellow one. There currently is a white one on eBay with a bid of £19.99 ($33.87). I'd tell you what the last one sold for, but it didn't sell on account of an absurdly high minimum bid.

Return to “Yesteryear & Collectibles”