Its official : Models of Yesteryear are dead

Models of Yesteryear and Matchbox Collectibles ranges
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its official : Models of Yesteryear are dead

Postby admin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Many that collect the range have known for years that the line is dead, Mattel effectively killed them off years ago. There was of course the pathetic and cynical attempt to revive the yesteryears back in 2002 but that was just the death throws from the Yesteryear corpse and of course in typical Mattel fashion it was a half-arsed attempt at best.

They made only 4 models; all good quality I might add. Then promptly released them only in the USA and even then in limited fashion; because if this it was set up to fail so they could simply kill the line and feel good that nobody buys them any more. It would of course stood a chance at working and making the shareholders of Mattel money if they released the products outside the USA into markets such as Australia, UK & Europe where traditional the larger scale and the Yesteryears sold very well, but as we all know the fools at Mattel dont seem to think that anything outside the good ol U.S of A exists, so they never did and as predicted the line failed.

Well now the actual time of death can be released, the official date of death of the Models of Yesteryear range is February 7, 2015

For anyone that held out some vain hope that Mattel might one day revive the line, think again. The Models of Yesteryear range is now officially dead, it is not not pining for the fjords, it has passed on. This range of diecast is no more, it has ceased to be. Models of Yesteryear has expired and gone to meet its maker, It is a stiff, Bereft of life, It now rests in peace. The Models of Yesteryear range is pushing up the daisies; Its kicked the bucket, and shuffled off this mortal coil, It has run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible.

This is an ex-Matchbox Range

But what is the source I hear you ask, how can I be so sure that Mattel wont change its mind? Well I guess we will never be 100% sure but my information comes from a very reliable and trustworthy source, no it is not the Ambassador, that role is all but forgotten by Mattel as well. No its not from Mattel direct, we all know that to protect trade secrets Mattel dont tell anyone anything, least of all me.
No my source is far better than all of that, my source is none other than the US Government and backed by the British Government as well, and we all know that governments dont lie. A search of the trademarks database shows that the brand 'Models of Yesteryear' has been in the case of the USA cancelled by Mattel. So there you have it :

Models of Yesteryear 1956 - 7th February 2015
Killed in its prime by Mattel, Inc.
59 years young

R.I.P Models of Yesteryear

They will not be back......

Of course another company could always pick up the name and run with it
:poke: Majorette
:poke: Siku
:poke: Anyone with half a brain

The General
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Its official : Models of Yesteryear are dead

Postby The General » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 pm

admin wrote:it was set up to fail so they could simply kill the line and feel good that nobody buys them any more.
Have you been drinking again? :poke:

I thought they stopped making MOY about 25 years ago. Was it you that told me someone tried to sell you a large quantity of MOY and the best you would offer was $1 each or something like that?
SYDNEY ROOSTERS 1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2017

Bill50
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Bill50 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:03 am

Who cares certainly not me,apart from the ones that were considered rare which I made on the rest are worthless and owe me big time.
Happy Days we are getting out of the EU

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:35 am

The General wrote:
admin wrote:it was set up to fail so they could simply kill the line and feel good that nobody buys them any more.
Have you been drinking again? :poke:

I thought they stopped making MOY about 25 years ago. Was it you that told me someone tried to sell you a large quantity of MOY and the best you would offer was $1 each or something like that?

Yup it was me. The stuff from the 80's was so over produced it just isnt worth anything any more. They did still produce them into the 90's under the Collectables banner but it was mostly ruined by people like Bill who bought them thinking they would make a fortune. :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it when it backfires on scalpers.

Mattel tried to revive them but as I said it was a futile attempt that was in my opinion designed to fail.

All I am saying now is that for those that would have liked to see them return, it obviously will never happen as Mattel have cancelled the registration of the brand so they obviously are not going to ever bring them back and dont care if someone else picks up the brand and runs with it.
I didnt check but I wouldnt be surprised if other brands, SuperKings, KingSize etc etc are also cancelled or will be soon enough and then the actual Matchbox brand itself in time will go down the same path

Dan777

Postby Dan777 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am

That is a pity. I liked them as a wee lad but never owned any. Sad.

matchboxmarcel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxmarcel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

see the MOYBOYZ forum and meet up with hundreds of other MOY collectors !

marcel

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Dan777 wrote:That is a pity. I liked them as a wee lad but never owned any. Sad.

Now is a good time to collect them, the more common models in the straw and maroon boxes can be had very cheaply

Return to “Yesteryear & Collectibles”