Cataloging Matchbox Collectibles

Models of Yesteryear and Matchbox Collectibles ranges
oblivious

Cataloging Matchbox Collectibles

Postby oblivious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Greetings,

As many of you might know, I am the webmaster for "http://www.bamca.org/", which is the website of the Bay Area Matchbox Collectors Association. Over the last several years, I have been developing a database of Matchbox castings and their variations.

The database currently contains an awful lot of information on 1:64 models and their variations. In the last year I have started expanding that to include other lines.

The place that my data model breaks down is in the Matchbox Collectibles line, where there is no longer a casting-centric orientation. Castings got reused, sometimes with modifications, in a fairly random way. I find this confusing and difficult to catalog, and so far I have punted on trying to reflect these models in my database.

So I would like to throw the question out for MOY and MC collectors. How should I proceed? I really like my casting-centric model for most of the models. I just don't know how to make it work for the Collectibles line.

I welcome thoughts, comments, and discussion.

Dean
BAMCA Webmaster
Dean Dierschow - dean at xocolatl dot com
Bay Area Matchbox Collectors Association
Webmaster

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cataloging Matchbox Collectibles

Postby admin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 pm

I understand your pain, I have catalogued them for my database http://www.cobratoys.com.au/cobraitsolutions-m-50.html and did manage to keep them casting based, although it is not easy.

You just need to have seperate ways of seeing the same models, if you check out the lists in our catalogue you will get the idea. Basically you list all the original MOY (Y1 - Y66) thats easy enough, then have a seperate list for the collectibles and Dinky castings, but the links within them will either point to a new casting or if they have re-used an older one, have them point back to that.
The best example is the Y12-3 I have it listed with over 100 variations as it was used as Y12 for a couple of years and later released as a Dinky or a Collectible as well

Hope that helps point you in the riight direction, if not just let me know and I will try to help out more.

mmi

Re: Cataloging Matchbox Collectibles

Postby mmi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 am

has there been any progress update on this project?

Return to “Yesteryear & Collectibles”