The MB 38 Ford Model A Van Thread

A place to discuss all thing related to Superfast Matchbox vehicles from the change over in 1969/70 up till Mattel took ownership in 1997
ritchie

Re: The MB 38 Ford Model A Van Thread

Postby ritchie » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks for starting this thread for MB 38. As a MB 38 collector I suppose you would know the book "Collecting MB-38 Model A Ford Vans" by Paul Carr which is a great book covering tremendous information on literally every MB 38 up to the year 1990.

Below is a special MB 38 that I'd like to go into a bit of details. As you may know, these models (with Chinese stickers) have many color variations and Jim has shown 2 of such above.

WFB Matchbox 1991 - variation 309 - Licence Plate DR5869 - Chinese issue - Made in China

The Chinese characters on the roof say:

World Famous Brand
[Logo]
Matchbox

Worth to mention that these were promotional models by Universal Matchbox and they were given to the kids at the Shanghai Children's Palace. The Children's Palace was a government funded non-profit organization for children to engage in extracurricular activities such as drawing, dancing, music, sports, science, etc. From a collector's memory who actually obtained his at the Children's Palace when he was a kid, these models came in loose, without any packaging.

The reason for having the models was all owing to David Yeh, the Chairman of Universal Matchbox Group. Yeh was born and grown up in Shanghai until the age of 8 when he moved to Hong Kong following his father's job relocation. With his connection with Shanghai in the childhood, Yeh had been thinking of doing something for the kids in Shanghai. In July 1987 when he first visited the Shanghai Children's Palace, the thoughts became much stronger. The same year he donated computers to the Children's Palace. And among other things he did, in around 1991, Matchbox toys (the subjected promotional MB-38s) were given to the kids there, and later the David Yeh Scholarship was established......

As a side note, Yeh is now age 86 and still doing well. The below photo was taken one year ago (Dec 4, 2014) during a visit by Shanghai government officials. The lady to the left is his wife, Mrs Kim Yeh.

johnnyfootballhero

Postby johnnyfootballhero » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:35 am

terrysains wrote:I have always been amazed at this model with its TEN pages of different models, they must of been everywhere in the 70's.
I don't think it actually debuted until 1982.

TOYRFIC
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby TOYRFIC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 am

ritchie wrote:Thanks for starting this thread for MB 38. As a MB 38 collector I suppose you would know the book "Collecting MB-38 Model A Ford Vans" by Paul Carr which is a great book covering tremendous information on literally every MB 38 up to the year 1990.

Below is a special MB 38 that I'd like to go into a bit of details. As you may know, these models (with Chinese stickers) have many color variations and Jim has shown 2 of such above.

WFB Matchbox 1991 - variation 309 - Licence Plate DR5869 - Chinese issue - Made in China

World Famous Brand
[Logo]
Matchbox

Worth to mention that these were promotional models by Universal Matchbox and they were given to the kids at the Shanghai Children's Palace. The Children's Palace was a government funded non-profit organization for children to engage in extracurricular activities such as drawing, dancing, music, sports, science, etc. From a collector's memory who actually obtained his at the Children's Palace when he was a kid, these models came in loose, without any packaging.

The reason for having the models was all owing to David Yeh, the Chairman of Universal Matchbox Group. Yeh was born and grown up in Shanghai until the age of 8 when he moved to Hong Kong following his father's job relocation. With his connection with Shanghai in the childhood, Yeh had been thinking of doing something for the kids in Shanghai. In July 1987 when he first visited the Shanghai Children's Palace, the thoughts became much stronger. The same year he donated computers to the Children's Palace. And among other things he did, in around 1991, Matchbox toys (the subjected promotional MB-38s) were given to the kids there, and later the David Yeh Scholarship was established......

As a side note, Yeh is now age 86 and still doing well. The below photo was taken one year ago (Dec 4, 2014) during a visit by Shanghai government officials. The lady to the left is his wife, Mrs Kim Yeh.

Thank you for sharing this story. David Yeh and Universal continued on with preserving Matchbox quality and history.
Then TYCO, then Mattel, and more history..... less quality!
JASON

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:21 am

The Chinese models shown above were, I believe, made using spare stock of the White Rose baseball and NFL vans and simply relabelling them. I have at least two of these models, obtained at the time from Paul Carr. The mixture of colours and labelling make them really great additions to the MB38 collection.

I was never a fan of the MB38 to begin with, but Paul's book really got me interested and I eventually managed to get - if we rule out the sports van sets - all the main variations with the exception of the Ben Franklin (which always came up for sale when I just wasn't able to afford it at the time) and the Meijers store promo "MATCHBOX" variation in white/black. I have the NHL models and the first series of NFL and Baseball vans, but the subsequent sets were just too expensive (not to mention rather pointless) so funds were diverted into getting more desirable models across the MB board.

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:07 pm

TOYRFIC wrote:
ritchie wrote:Thanks for starting this thread for MB 38. As a MB 38 collector I suppose you would know the book "Collecting MB-38 Model A Ford Vans" by Paul Carr which is a great book covering tremendous information on literally every MB 38 up to the year 1990.

World Famous Brand
[Logo]
Matchbox
Excellent post. I appreciate the information provided. THanks.

Thank you for sharing this story. David Yeh and Universal continued on with preserving Matchbox quality and history.
Then TYCO, then Mattel, and more history..... less quality!
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

rastus115
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby rastus115 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 am

Bass Museum and Shire Horse Stables - variation 014 - Licence Plate KG6567 - UK Issue - Made in Macau

Arnotts Biscuits - variation 011 - Licence Plate KG6567 - Australian Issue - Made in Macau

ASAP Blank - variation 577 - Licence Plate KG6567 - Made in Macau

Champion Spark Plugs - variation 001 - Licence Plate KG6567 - Made in England

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:39 am

Very nice pics. I really like this model even though it has so many liveries. It is fun to collect and learn things even after all these years. I'll try to get more pice this weekend.
Jim Gallegos. Thanks to all who were a part of the 2015 Matchbox Collectors Gathering. Start planing for 2016. Dates are 15-17 July 2016. Registration Starts 31. Dec. at midnight MST Email me for details. matchb0x1@aol.com

rastus115
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby rastus115 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:05 am

HH Brain - variation 021a - Green Chassis but book lists a Black Chassis - Licence Plate KG6567 - UK Issue On-pack Promotional - Made in Macau

Lyceum Theatre - variation 115 - Licence Plate KG6567 - UK issue - Made in Macau

Gowling Bros - variation 291 - Licence Plate DB5869 - Australian Issue - Made in China

[url=Image

Green's Sponge Mixture - variation 063 - Licence Plate KG6567 - UK Issue On-pack Promotional - Made in Macau

Jimgallegos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Jimgallegos » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:56 pm

an early MB38 as well as a fun later model.

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Along with the Ben Franklin model, that 'MATCHBOX' variation is the other MB38 that had always eluded me.

Return to “Superfast Era (1969 - 1997)”