A Closer Look At Matchbox Replica Wall Display

A place to discuss all thing related to Superfast Matchbox vehicles from the change over in 1969/70 up till Mattel took ownership in 1997
Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

A Closer Look At Matchbox Replica Wall Display

Postby Matt79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Thought I would load the display with the range from the year I was born (1979) and show it a little clearer.

First pic is the display full of the vehicles. As you can see it's a great way to display your models.

They have made the spaces slightly larger than the original so you can fit the boxes in too. These are the boxes for the 1979 range.

The lid fits over the top quite securely and at the base there is a Velcro dot to help keep it in place. The plastic is quite thick and sturdy too.

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: A Closer Look At Matchbox Replica Wall Display

Postby adbutler » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:41 pm

I love how they've made the spaces big enough to fit the boxes in. Looks stunning Matt.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

Ghosthunter

Postby Ghosthunter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:40 pm

The thickness of plastic used would have been my concern as I imagine that is now quite heavy when full of models and I can imagine it falling of the wall as the screws cut through the hanging apertures.

Ghosthunter.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Ghosthunter wrote:The thickness of plastic used would have been my concern as I imagine that is now quite heavy when full of models and I can imagine it falling of the wall as the screws cut through the hanging apertures.

Ghosthunter.

Well I managed to carry the whole 1979 range in the display into the front room without strain so there isn't that much weight. The original shop display I have which has much thinner plastic hung on the wall for 7 years in a toy shop with a full load in. So I'm not worried. It is very sturdy material.

Plus when I hang it on the wall I'll be using the appropriate screws to hold it to the wall so it technically won't be hanging. I'll take another photo when it's hung. :D

Ghosthunter

Postby Ghosthunter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Thank's Matt, and looking at your avatar, I can see you are a big strong lad... :lol:

Ghosthunter.

matchboxtom
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxtom » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Did they include more than one decal. It looked like they might be including more than one style of center decal for the wall displays.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:16 pm

matchboxtom wrote:Did they include more than one decal. It looked like they might be including more than one style of center decal for the wall displays.

Yes there is another decal. Its similar to this one but has Superfast, rolamatics and Streakers written on the right next to the '75'. However the style of the word Superfast is slightly different to the original so I didnt use that one. There is also another set of numbers too.

matchboxtom
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby matchboxtom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Would love to buy the extra decal if you have no use for it?

Tom

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:09 pm

matchboxtom wrote:Would love to buy the extra decal if you have no use for it?

Tom

No need to pay Tom. I'd be happy just to send you them both (I bought two displays) if you want them. Just inbox me where you want me to send them. Ill take a photo to show you what they look like first. Or would you just like the one?

LittleElmer

Postby LittleElmer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:54 am

That is a nice display. I recognize many of the same cars in my own collection. I wish that I had the boxes and display, that's excellent.

Return to “Superfast Era (1969 - 1997)”