Complete list of 2017 new castings & ranges

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
charliep

Re: Complete list of 2017 new castings & ranges

Postby charliep » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 pm

How about the RWR (real working rigs) series? I think that was a hit until something happened and it died off as well.

jpi37087
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jpi37087 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 am

RWR were discontinued of any and all new casting\ tampo's a few years ago though they still get re-issues at least once a year.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Motorway No. 12

Postby Motorway No. 12 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Asking all: what is the best way to identify the "range" of the model. I cannot seem to find any explicit reference on the model, or the packing. I have five 2017 models: No. 64 '15 Corvette (police); No. 20 '08 Lotus Evora; No. 21 Dodge Challenger SRT8; No. 3 '16 Fiat 500X; No. 117 '64 Austin Mini Cooper. The blister packs seem to be color-coded, but I see no reference on the front or back of the card to identify the range. Also, I could not find, via a search of the internet (and the Mattel site), a reference to the color coding. I must be missing something right in front of my eyes!

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Guran

Postby Guran » Sat May 20, 2017 11:48 am

This should get you started:
http://matchbox.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_2017_Matchbox

There are four different world segments in the 2017 Matchbox 1-125-range : Adventure City (Blue), Construction (Yellow), Heroic Rescue (Red) and Explorers (Green).

turbogt350

Postby turbogt350 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 am

aster30 wrote:Hello to everyone,

Looking at the 2017 Matchbox car list (and those from previous years), a question comes to mind, which so far no one could answer. Hopefully, somebody here can shed some light. What happened with Matchbox over the last 15 years, excluding a partial comeback b/t 2004-2011, when real models got rare and these generics/fantasy vehicles made up the bulk of the line every year? Why Matchbox gave up on its tradition of making real world vehicles? Up until the early 90s, there was very little you could pass by at the store; now, there is little one could take with from a store when it comes to Matchbox. Why did they discontinue Convoys, the Twin Packs, Motor City? Why is the Matchbox website so primitive compared to say Hot Wheels? Why is Matchbox no longer comparable to its rivals Hot Wheels, Majorette, SIKU, Maisto, etc? Why this collapse? Can someone please clarify it to me since I cannot find an answer?

Thank you and sorry for the long post,

Yves

It is funny that you mentioned the Hot Wheels website being advanced compared to the Matchbox website. Count your blessings, the Hot Wheels website is a disaster, numerous bugs, the membership is up in arms, many have left. The last few years the site has gone down hill.
As far as Matchbox being comparable, I beg to differ, it is just that Mattel is partial to their brand "Hot Wheels", so more resources, marketing is given to Hot Wheels. I am not familiar with Majorette, or SIKU, but Matchbox are much better than Maisto. I think Matchbox has a strong line-up; Hot Wheels line-up for 2017 is 365 castings, at least half are peg warmers, many have two, or three recolors, so while they dominate the peg space, there are gems to be had on the Matchbox pegs.
I love that the Matchbox's are back in boxes; what is the deal on that? Is it the whole series, or a select few?
Also I found some "Best of Matchbox" they look very nice, while I primarily collect Hot Wheels I always take a peek at the Matchbox pegs, where I am often pleasantly surprised.

I am looking for lists of recent years, preferably in an Excel format, to use as a checklist.

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”