Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
MikeG

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby MikeG » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am

One more thing, for what it's worth. Lidl's Christmas catalogue - available in store - has a coupon for £5 off a £40 purchase. So if you want all 7 multipacks you should be able to get them all plus an extra one (or some groceries) for free.

Oldmanmatchbox

Postby Oldmanmatchbox » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

It looks like Tesco is lost to us forever, as the two stores near me have removed even the hot wheels and Majorette.
To add insult to injury they have cleared complete sections and filled them with their cheap and nasty looking own brand generic cr*p

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Im glad you mentioned that as my nearest gigantic Tesco Extra got rid of basic Hot Wheels singles and Realtoy over a month ago, they had cleared Majorette long before then, and indeed replaced them with those nasty HTI generics which they sell under the Carousel brand and are IDENTICAL to the crap we see in pretty much every U.K. retailer! Even the assistant clearing the toy section at the time couldnt understand why these generics were becoming so prominent in the store as loads of customers had asked him that day when they were going to restock Hot Wheels!!
Tesco used to be a great source of diecasts but now is yet another retailer I avoid and thus spend no money there, Wilkinsons is another which springs to mind. Hopefully common sense and a distinct lack of sales im witnessing of these generics in other retailers will see more palatable products brought back.

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I fear distribution won’t improve. In my line of work (food) dealing with the supermarkets- the head office buyers stay in the job for a year or so and then move on to a different category. Each new buyer wants to make their impact but then moves without seeing the repercussions of their actions. With the currency issues we currently have any imported toys now cost the supermarkets way more than they used to which affects their profit margin on each product. They think they’re solving the problem by switching to the HTI junk as we will still be able to buy toy cars for £1 and they keep their margin. The problem is HTI won’t sell and the solution won’t be to bring HW/MBX back, it will be to give the shelf space to another toy which sells more/makes better margin.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I hope people wont mind me extending this topic as I appreciate its a Matchbox thread but I suspect a lot of U.K. Matchbox collectors also like to collect other 1:64 brands too. Thank you for your interesting insight into the inner sanctum of supermarkets, I must admit you have confirmed my suspicions that these HTI generics have come about because of a pathological need to keep diecasts at the magic £1 figure against a rising tide of rising exchange rates, rising energy prices and no doubt rising licensing fees from the motor manufacturers. Indeed Matchbox has suffered from trying to keep its one Dollar price point and from an adults point of view I would be happy to see the price of models increase slightly to keep some semblance of quality and realism.
Pound shops aside, the price of HW and MBX have increased from its universal one Pound price point some years ago and there is still an insatiable demand for them and with the markets indifference to these generics surely a price increase wouldnt be so bad. A quick look on the Chinese wholesale website Alibaba shows there are literally hundreds of toy manufacturers who produce cheap and unlicensed models which could be sold for one Pound and satisfy everyones need for realistic models. Collecting 1:64 models here in the U.K. has become very stale at the moment.

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 pm

MikeG wrote:Sets were in my local Lidl this morning; their website shows seven sets though I'm not sure all were in stock. They're the same sets that have been in Asda for a few weeks, but, as Craig points out, considerably cheaper. Models have date codes K24 which means they're relatively new stock and not something dredged out of a warehouse somewhere half-way round the world. So are Lidl getting their stock from their parent company in Germany or are Matchbox/Mattel supplying them from the UK? If the latter, then the exclusive deal with Asda presumably only applies to single models (which would account for the 3 packs that have turned up in Home Bargains and TK Max) - was this always to be so or does it recognise that Asda aren't getting the hoped-for sales? And if the former, then, Mr Lidl, how about some single models?!

A few years ago, Lidl did HW singles once a year. Big old basket of them that sold like hot cakes. Still do HW, but sadly it's either the cheapo play sets or the transporter/car combo.

A similar thing with Matchbox at the end of the year would be great. Late case stuff that failed to hit the uk would be nice.............

William

Postby William » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm

2017 Case F in my local Poundland today.

Blue Skyline and black Evora picked up. If there were any pink Challengers they'd gone before I got there.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up William as thats a batch ive still yet to find, ironically I drove past a big Poundland today but assumed they would have nothing in apart from those dreaded HTI Teamsterz twin sets.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Well thanks to William I found a fresh case of Batch F in a Poundland today and can definitely confirm it contains a couple of purple Dodges :-)

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Pink Dodges I should say.

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”