Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
shockwavetrading

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby shockwavetrading » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Home Bargains in Dumfries. Had just one solitary Matchbox, which was some daft submarine model. However they also had some great little themed 3 packs for £2.99. I picked up a police set and off road set. There was also a farm set, military set and a city set.

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm

My Local Asda now has a shelf full of G case not shifting (at £1.97 vs £1 roll back on HW it never will) and a case and a half of G on top of the shelving... no point going back until next year then!

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Sadly thats exactly what im seeing in every ASDA store im visiting, messy shin level baskets stuffed full of Batch G MBX, horrendous generic HTI models and older Hot Wheels which may be priced at just £1 but you have great difficulty in reaching them as everything is squashed together alongside the Cars movie themed models which now share the same space. Its all such a mess and im seriously considering going back to the U.S. based A&J Toys in future to get my MBX even if I know it can be prohibitively expensive with postage costs!! ASDA are going to really pull something out of the bag to justify its exclusivity deal!!

blue

Postby blue » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm

How much does it cost (roughly) for a case to be shipped to the UK from A&J ?

William

Postby William » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Expensive - shipping prices have gone up a lot recently. Shipping a 24 MB case to the UK now costs about £35 (about twice the cost of the case itself) from A&J. Also don't forget you will have VAT to pay which is not a lot BUT FedEx charge a flat £12 fee for paying this in advance for you then you pay them back. All this makes it uneconomical to buy a single case especially if you dont want the generics.

If you live in the US however you can buy a 24 case for about £17 with free shipping! Great value and very frustrating for us Brits.

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:53 pm

craig tetlow wrote:Looking at the ones ive seen in my local Toys R Us branches they all appear to be old five vehicle sets dating from 2015. Tk Maxx and Home Bargains are now selling three vehicle sets, most of them contain models which can be found in the five vehicle sets ASDA have been selling for over a year but the odd ones have 2017 castings not seen here such as the Chevrolet Blazer in camouflage livery.
Tk Maxx are also currently offering some really nice and well priced 2017 Majorette sets too.

Cool! Will take a hunt about tomorrow, see what I can find. Wasn't sure about the Toys r us sets. If they're old, that's cool, still new to me... ;) Been on holiday for a week and popped into Asda for some bits before I left. Found the construction set for my son to play with on hols, but will check the other new packs.

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 pm

D case stuff now in Glasgow Poundlands. I like to think the polite email I sent them a few weeks back has had an effect, but it may just be co-incidence. Some stuff I missed from the botched Asda runs was picked up. The Transit News Van (damned if I was paying 1.75 for it), the retro matchbox livery Vantom, the Stepside, the GHE-O & the Tinforcer (for a laugh).

Deuceydog

Postby Deuceydog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I thought I would take the bull by the horns and email ASDA about the Matchbox situation.

I got the following reply, which sounds promising.

Hi

Thank you for your patience, I have received a response from our buyer their response is below:

Currently the regularity of change is restricted by the fact that they are from abroad and therefore ordered in large quantities at a time. It can then take time to sell through. For 2018 we are moving Matchbox singles to Domestic, so we can order smaller quantities more frequently and therefore have a more regular update of cars.

Hot Wheels is currently replenished this way and works really well.

Thank you again for sending your feedback, I hope that you will begin to see a change and that you are able to get the cars you want.

Kindest Regards

Denise Ryan
Asda Service Team

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm

thanks for emailing them, this sounds promising... dare I hold my breath?

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm gonna follow up my Poundland email with a thumbs up and more please! ;) See what happens....

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”