Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
ManBurning

Frustrated in the UK

Postby ManBurning » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm sure this is a familiar story, after my son was born a couple of years ago I've got back into collecting Matchbox & I've become more serious about it over the last couple of months as my frustration grows at missing out on so many models because I can't find them anywhere!

I've resorted to eBay and Facebook groups but don't really want to be paying those prices when I let my 2 year old play with them :D

Is anyone else having more success? I'm in Grimsby, our Asda last had Matchbox singles in October/November (white A100 & VW transporter cab) and we have a couple of Poundlands which currently have models like grey Alfa 4C/Orange Evoque/black F-type/Chrysler 300c/Infiniti coupe and the usual generics.

Looks like I've missed out on the Skyline and V60 & there are some great looking models coming out this year I don't want to miss out on so.... if anyone could help out that would be awesome- happy to buy or swap if I can find anything people need

Ewen J

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby Ewen J » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 pm

My tip is to persist with Poundland. Going by the past year, they seem to be getting 2016 cases sporadically, usually about 6 months late and not always at every store. Yours sounds quite well up on things. You may not get a V60 or Skyline, but then again, I'd given up hope of seeing an MX 5 s anywhere until it magically appeared one day with the Evoque & 15 Corvette Stingray.

Asda look to be stocking 2017 models now.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:09 am

It sounds like you are a little unlucky where you are. Around my area I have found when Asda first filled up with Matchbox again it was with batch H dated J20. I have since seen it refilled with batch K dated J28 (also includes batch J with it so we continued unbroken), then again with batch L dated J31. They have now started filling up with 2017 batch A dated J39 which also includes batch M 2016 so again it continues unbroken. Of course I admit it is not just the one Asda store, this is in a radius of 20 miles or so. I only get to head out on a hunt once every few weeks, but I enjoy it, and have not missed anything.

Poundland are currently on batch K dated J33 where I am. But they leapt forward from batch D to get there, and as each assortment contains the last 2 batches, this does mean they missed a number of batches to get there.

:) :D :P

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I need more patience!

My next 2 nearest Asda's are 30 miles away (in opposite directions) so that makes hunting there difficult but it sounds like our Poundlands are good & we haven't got up to K yet so I'll keep checking there- lots of stock at the moment though so may be a while before we get anything new.

Thanks again

William

Postby William » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Like ManBurning I have recently tried to get back into collecting mbx in the UK after a 15 year or so gap but I am finding it equally frustrating.

I did a trawl last weekend of all Poundland and Asda stores in my area (Wirral/Cheshire) and failed to find most of my 2016 targets such as the Evoque, F-Type (orange), MX5, Tesla, V60, Prius, Stingray, Gallardo etc.

I'm guessing they have been and gone, if some were ever there? I cannot bring myself to pay the profiteering UK seller prices or high US postage on eBay however to get them (if anyone has any tips on how to source more cheaply from the US it would be appreciated as many of my missing models from the early 2000s are also readily availble on eBay but again at ridiculous postage costs).

I'm hoping to keep up with the 2017 releases, the first batch of which were in most Asda stores.

This forum is excellent however and has helped me get up to speed with what has been happening and where to look.

rastus115
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby rastus115 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 am

Hi William. I am in Australia and have often purchased from ebay sellers in the USA. However I rarely buy just one or two cars from a seller due to those high shipping costs. (Unless it is particularly special.) When I find a seller with a car that I want at a sensible price (as well as sensible shipping price) I then check all of their listings and try to buy in bulk with combined shipping. This could end up being for 10, 20, 50 or even 100 cars in one go. This way the shipping cost is spread out over more cars making the shipping cost per car a lot lower. If I can't make the overall cost viable I then just say "pass" and keep looking for another seller and opportunity. There are very few "normal" cars that you won't come across time and time again. You just have to be patient and keep looking.

William

Postby William » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for the advice. I've just done a similar thing with a UK based eBay seller and, as you say, with combined postage greatly reduces the overall cost per unit.

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Some of the ones you're after may not be in the Poundlands yet, I had to double check David's list to calm myself down - some of the ones I thought I'd missed aren't in Poundland yet.

Which colour Evoque are you after? I'm sure there was 1 orange one left in my local last week. But as you say it's not really economical shipping single cars.

Update from my local Asda- finally got the V60, Chevy wagon, gold BMW, Mercedes McLaren and Ford delivery truck in today... no Skylines or Minis though

William

Postby William » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks. I guess the trick is to keep checking Poundland regularly as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Funny how things vary from store to store, I've seen plenty of green Minis in my local Asda stores but not a sniff of a V60!

The next 2017 batch cannot be far away now I expect?

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 am

lol! Glasgow has run dry! My Asda stores are still to get any 2017's (or anything beyond the H case), and I'm waiting on Poundland's next batch landing. Checking out Tesco & Toys R Us for Majorettes in the meantime.

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”