Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
Mark Y

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby Mark Y » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Picked up the matte black Lotus Evora and matte grey Nissan Skyline along with the generic tuk tuk. at Poundland. A polite word to the stock guy and I was told he could order more matchbox next week. So sometimes pays to wait or politely ask the staff regarding stock.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Yes, I think the stock is coming through albeit patchily. I've seen all the batch E models except the Skyline at various branches of Poundland, though not all in the same place at the same time, which I guess means that others are getting there first! Still no sight of rumoured batch H, though no doubt they'll get here eventually. And some branches still on batch D or earlier; total lottery as to what I find! Agree on Pound World and Home Bargains, I think these stores snap up surplus stock as and when it becomes available at the right price (so does Poundland only with a better source?) so may still be worth popping in occasionally. As for Asda, batch G now appears to be in all local stores after a long wait. Is it just here or do they seem to be waiting for the bins to be almost empty before they re-stock? Suppose this might help to clear peg-warmers. My experience of the retail trade, other than as a customer, is limited to a Saturday job in my local Woolworths when I was at school so I'd expect Asda's management to be a bit more clued up than me, but getting an "exclusive" deal and then not stocking the product (and running a promotion on a competing line) seems a strange way of doing business.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:25 am

Can I politely ask Mark and Mike whereabouts they live in the UK? Im from West Yorkshire and the many larger Poundland stores in places like Huddersfield, Halifax and Leeds are dire for Matchbox and have been for months with pegs which have been empty for weeks, got rid of altogether or are clogged with 2016 generics! I was in America for a holiday in May and June and thankfully managed to get a very small selection of Batch D and E stuff along with newer 5 vehicle sets which oddly havnt appeared here at all but didnt worry too much as I naturally expected to fill in the many gaps from ASDA.
As we all know they unexpectedly jumped from C to G and thats where things remain at the moment!! ASDA have just had a major toy aisle reset and things seem to have got worse, their shin height baskets which once accomodated a full case of Matchbox, Hot Wheels and Maisto based Adventure Wheels now have to fit 5 different lines meaning you only get a small selection of each and when they are full its very difficult to actually search for whats within, not that there is much new to find as even Hot Wheels is no further than Batch M whilst Batch Q has just been announced! And dont even get me started on their decision to replace licensed 1:64 Maisto with those truly horrendous and overtly generic HTI models which seem to be taking over many UK retailers!! Grrrr!!
Lol

Mark Y

Postby Mark Y » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Well Asda Oxford store is was dire as you mention, yet another store 10 miles away this week had both versions of the red Chevy truck, Sonara and silver land rover. Pound land as mentioned also came up with new models. Not seen the Subaru or green VW van yet.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm in Newark on Trent, (Notts-Lincs border) so not a million miles from you, Craig, but as I think we've all found there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what each store has in stock. I'm a gentleman of leisure and have time to trawl stores in Nottingham, Lincoln and Grantham fairly regularly, often fruitlessly, but often finding one store has SFA while another from the same chain a few miles away has plenty. I do find the bigger branches of Asda seem to get the first cases from new batches before the small ones but I'm often beaten to the best models and more than once have found a model I'm looking for in my (small) local branch after finding nothing in the big ones. For what it's worth I visited Glasgow early in July so can sympathise with Ewen, from what he says nothing has improved. Poundland do seem to have a lot of old stock in the system.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks Mike. Well my local Poundland has just restocked with an expanded amount of peg space but unfortunately....with a mid 2016 batch including the silver 93 Mustang and blue Tesla Model S!! To say distribution is random is a huge understatement, where on Earth do they get such old stock from?

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 pm

After finding nothing new except a price increase in Asda, I was pleasantly surprised to find Pound World in Lincoln had re-stocked with case A,B and C, including the green Cropmaster, Blue mixer and - yess! - green GT40 that weren't supplied to Asda. Nothing that hasn't already been reported, I think, but as I've previously drawn a blank when I've visited Pound World it confirms they're still worth trying. Down the road, Poundland appeared to have just re-stocked with the same batch that Craig found, date code J07, though surprisingly still lots of newer stuff (cases D&E and before) beneath it on the pegs. And Home Bargains' stock does seem to have dried up, anyone found anything new there?

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Finally found some batch G goodies today in Asda. The display was a mess, but after some scrabbling about (which security guards watching the monitors must have had a hoot at) I pulled out the Merc AMG, the Subaru, The Volks cab & Custom Chevy. And the Swift Shuttle. :o All quiet on the Poundland front still.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:08 am

My local Poundland brought in 3 boxes of 24-count Matchbox. 1 from batch D of 2017, and 2 older 2016 assortments. All are no good for me, as I have everything up to batch J, but at least they are trying.

:) :D :P

William

Postby William » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks David.

I've discovered the way to collect Matchbox - move to Crete (or take lots of holidays there). I've just come back from two weeks in the sun and Matchbox is readily available in most supermarkets there plus they are up to date. I've now also got everything up to the J case. Interestingly MB singles are cheaper there (at 1.5 Euro) than Hot Wheels singles too. Noticed the J case short card Golf Country is in teal rather than the Long Card green coming out of the US.

I cannot understand how distribution is so good on a Greek island (albeit a big one) yet the UK is so dire??!

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”