Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
William

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby William » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 am

Yes, disappointingly I'm having to reconsider my decision to start collecting mbx again if the product is going to be that hard to find at RRP or less in the UK. A situation not helped by 'collectors' seemingly hoovering up all desirable models from stores only to put them on eBay at highly inflated prices.

Not a great thing to ask on the Matchbox forum but would Majorette be a good alternative?

BrabusAMG

Postby BrabusAMG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 am

Yes. Some of their models are better value for money.
Mattel, please sell Matchbox to the Simba Dickie Group!

Deuceydog

Postby Deuceydog » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

So I just went into the biggest ASDA local to me and they have filled every bin with Hot Wheels.

There happened to be someone there and I asked, are you going to put any Matchbox out soon. I was told he thinks they are no longer going to stock them as they did not sell very well!!

I pointed out that the bin had actually been empty since the beginning of December and they had only had one batch ever in the store.

They are not going sell any if there is none to buy. :evil:

This is exactly what it was like in ASDA when they previously stocked Matchbox

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Re Majorette, I got into collecting the premium models as they looked great & were well stocked in my local Tesco... at least I thought they were- there were about 5 of the 21 I just couldn't find anywhere!

Ewen J

Postby Ewen J » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Doesn't help when Asda sell Matchbox at a higher price than Hotwheels. Parents will likely vote with their wallets and only pick up HW. Majorettes are really nice. Great detail, suspension & opening doors/hoods. A bit dearer though. Tesco & Toys R Us do them.

William

Postby William » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:55 pm

I've just started picking up the non-premium Majorettes from Morrisons at £1 each. I think they are very good but take some finding as they are on hangers randomly placed around the stores (I found some in the pet food aisle yesterday!). I'm convinced however that the same factory is kicking out the Tesco own brand cars too - they are very similar.

As for Matchbox at Asda, I visited three or four new (to me) stores over the last week trying to find the elusive V60 with no luck. Cannot recall seeing any Minis, BMW 1Ms, SLR Mclarens etc. either for that matter. Most stores were pretty pooly stocked with MBX but HWs were in plentiful supply reflecting the earlier post.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Sadly you are finding that Matchbox is essentially dead in the UK thanks to the complete ineptness of Mattel. I rarely buy Matchbox anymore due mostly to being unable to find them in any stores at all and now collect a lot of Majorette and Realtoy (Tesco own brand) which for the price are quite good value.

William

Postby William » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Tesco home brand are currently 3 for 2 at the moment too (normally £1 each).

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:27 am

William wrote:Not a great thing to ask on the Matchbox forum but would Majorette be a good alternative?

In short YES... Majorette are fantastic and everything that Matchbox should be. If you do decide to collect Majorette check out Majorette Australia's Facebook and Instagram pages, they're updated regularly with upcoming models.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Again without sounding like a cracked record but perseverence and regular visits to the toy aisle in ASDA will eventually pay off even though I know Matchbox models really shouldnt this be difficult to find considering once upon a time you could find them EVERYWHERE!!
Now, my local ASDA in Huddersfield hadnt restocked any MBX singles for literally months until last week when I saw a handful of the new 2017 A batch hanging on two pegs designated for them. Part of me thought thank god theyve restocked and the other thinking how daft you can only fit 10 or 20 castings at a time on these pegs! Well a quick look at the top shelf revealed an almost full carton of 72 models including at least 3 Volvos 4 Chevy Wagons and plenty of other stuff such as the BMW M1 though sadly all the Austin Minis had gone. I visited the same store again this morning fully expecting the same box to be there but amazingly it was a totally fresh one with plenty of the above mentioned models again. U.S. cases may contain only 24 cars but over here they are 72 and so more opportunity to find the model you want.
Ps. Apparantely a lot of ASDA stores will be getting a toy aisle reset in the next few weeks which hopefully means more new stuff. Fingers crossed!

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”