Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
MikeG

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby MikeG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Have to agree with you, Craig. After clocking up 90 miles visiting "nearby" Asda stores over the weekend, I popped into my local (Newark) branch, that hadn't had anything new for ages, to find the bin full of new J39 batch stock. This morning there were several V60s, Gold BMWs, Green Minis, Chevy wagons, grey Ford panel vans and Mercedes SLRs amongst the less attractive stock, not sure if they'll still be there, do people snap them up the re-sell at higher prices? At Grantham yesterday I found a few of the above but they were buried under a pile of their own-brand models and the blue-card brand so may have been hidden. Still no Skylines, though. Will all come to he who waits (or goes to Poundland in 6 months' time?)
Also picked up the revised casting for the Land Rover 90 for £1.20, is this (and the 110) likely to get a new MAN number?

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

And just to reiterate the point once more i visited a further two nearby ASDA stores this morning and spotted a full case of 72 Batch A models in both! Lol Though we do now seem to be at least 3 batches behind the U.S.
I think people have for years hoovered up stock to put on Ebay but from my personal the Merc McLaren etc are so numerous at the moment that I actually leave them behind! As for the Skyline and indeed orange Jag F-Type ive only ever spotted that batch just the ONCE and in only ONE of the many ASDA stores I regularly visit but again I was lucky that they had just put this box out and so there was at least four of each!
Im a devoted MBX collector with other 10000 1/64 models of all brands in my collection but I dont ever take notice of MAN numbers so unsure if they have changed for the Defenders umpteenth modification though with the Land-Rover series now been reduced to clear im hoping and praying we now get the Best Of series soon.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 pm

ASDA Inverness has now restocked after months of nothing they now have some thrown into a pile on the bottom shelf with the Hot Wheels. Not a big fan of how they are displayed or not displayed which is more accurate but at least they are there and for the first time in several months I actually found some I liked and bought them

Mark Y

Postby Mark Y » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Hopefully things are picking up after the new year lull. I think the strange distribution we are experiencing is a combination of over production of models which are obviously going to be peg warmers, poor marketing by Mattel and poor distribution by the retailers. If Poundland can import old long card stock and still make a profit it shows ridiculous the situation is. :ugeek:

William

Postby William » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Woo-hoo, finally managed to pick up a V60 at one of my local Asda stores too (Runcorn) which was there with other J39 stock.

Can anyone explain how the batch numbering works? I assume batches come out in alphabetical order (J being the last 2016 batch but also containing some 2017 batch A models?). What does the '39' stand for? Sorry for novice question.

Shouldn't we be due a batch beyond J39 by now? I'd appreciate a tip off if anyone sees any.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Unfortunately i cant tell you what the 39 means, in fact of nearly 30 yrs of collecting Matchbox since i was a very young child its only in the last couple of years ive actually known about batches!
All i know is that the U.S. is now on Batch D so we are now falling behind which is frustrating as up until January 2017 the U.K. was at least two batches ahead of them with Mattels sister brand Hot Wheels so things are just not consistent with their distribution

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:32 pm

William wrote:Woo-hoo, finally managed to pick up a V60 at one of my local Asda stores too (Runcorn) which was there with other J39 stock.

Can anyone explain how the batch numbering works? I assume batches come out in alphabetical order (J being the last 2016 batch but also containing some 2017 batch A models?). What does the '39' stand for? Sorry for novice question.

Shouldn't we be due a batch beyond J39 by now? I'd appreciate a tip off if anyone sees any.
A quick rundown on what these codes on the back of packages are (for those who don't know). They are a production code which will tell you when a model is made. It was something that Mattel started in 2008 with "A" and is just finishing "J" and about to move on to "K". It doesn't just apply to Matchbox models, but to a variety of Mattel products. The first letter will tell you the year a model was made (at the factory).

A - 2008
B - 2009
C - 2010
D - 2011
E - 2012
F - 2013
G - 2014
H - 2015
J - 2016 (Mattel Skip the letter I as it is too similar to the number 1)
K - 2017
L - 2018
and so on....

The 2 numbers after this letter will signify which week of that year the item in question was produced. Therefore if you have a model with J39 on it, that means it was produced at the factory during the 39th week of 2016. Or in normal terms the week at the end of September, beginning of October time.

In the UK the batch dated J39 is actually batch A of 2017. Batch A of 2017 will include all of the models released in batch A as well as batch M of 2016 as rollovers. All of the models from batch M of 2016 no longer have the model number on the strip down the side of the blistercard as they were from the previous year (Mattel tradition for models rolled over into the new model year). When batch M was being produced it would have had rollovers from batch L included (but as both were part of the same model year both would have numbers on the blister card strip still). When batch L was produced it would have had rollovers from batch K and so on. Each assortment produced now has the current batch and previous batch included in the assortment (a system only recently introduced as they used to be 3 batches per assortment, but have been reduced to 2 in the last few years).

I hope that helps.

:) :D :P

William

Postby William » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Brilliant, thanks David. The answer is a lot more complex than I'd imagined!

Is there always the same number of batches each year, i.e. up to M, and are they released at the same frequency, about one a month?

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Sadly no. Until recently there used to be 2 different assortments made. One for the USA domestic market and one for the ROW international market. USA assortments would be 36 models per case on long card, and ROW assortments would be 72 per case on short card. The US assortments used to be 14 per year and ROW assortments 11 per year. It was actually quite tough to keep track of them. But I did try and keep track of them as much as I can. In 2015 they adjusted the assortments down into a standard 12 assortments a year for both markets which made it easier to track as both markets got the same models in each batch, and then reduced the case count on US assortments to 24 per case. ROW assortments are still 72 per case though, even though stores only put out half a case at a time. It would be so much better if they were reduced to 36 per case assortments. But I digress.

:) :D :P

William

Postby William » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks again David.

One last question, do you know the reason why the US use long cards and everywhere else short cards? Seem an uneccessarry manufacturing variation.

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”