Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
Deuceydog

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby Deuceydog » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:32 pm

This is exactly what it used to be like when Asda stocked Matchbox some years ago.

They would fill up, leave empty for several weeks, then fill up the same batch again. They would do this several times and for so long, batches would be missed out.

Meanwhile the Hot Wheels bins would be constantly filled with new stuff.

My local has just filled up with another J39 batch

William

Postby William » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 am

Even the HW stuff at Asda appears to be stagnant. Not seen anything new for over a month.

shockwavetrading

Postby shockwavetrading » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Dikes in Stalbridge, Dorset have Land Rover 5:piece gift set, but nothing else.
Also ASDA Gillingham, Dorset (not Kent) have more mbx than hw. Found blue Volvo, gold BMW 1M & red '59 Chevy wagon this morning.

William

Postby William » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 am

With the ongoing frustration of not being able to buy the latest MB in the UK I've been investigating the viability of purchasing full cases from the US. So far however the shipping costs and possible customs duties make this option look unaffordable.

Has anyone found a cost effective way of buying cases of MB (or HW for that matter) in the UK?

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 am

It may be a little tougher as UK cases are in 72s, not in 24s that you get in USA. There is no UK stockist or dealer I know that would do a case sale anyway. Modelmatic are only doing specific ranges, like the Best of and they also did the Land Rover series last year. They do not do larger cases of basic range models.

:) :D :P

William

Postby William » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks David.

My research suggests you are right, nobody is selling cases of MB or HW in the UK (or Europe?). This is frustrating as cases of 72 can be purchased for less than £60 post free within the US.

William

Postby William » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Woo-hoo! Full 2017 case C found today at my local ASDA (no Ford GT40s however)?

No 'Exclusive to ASDA' stickers either.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm

others have been in direct contact with Mattel UK and it appears that the smaller wholesalers are no longer able to obtain Matchbox and thus it is left to just the likes of ASDA and Poundstrether who appear to be using a parallel import

William

Postby William » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks.

Why on earth would Mattel not want to sell direct to the UK and to as many retailers as possible if there is a market? I'm no businessman but surely that's commercial madness?

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:29 am

Ah finally we are starting to move forward in the UK. It seems like forever ago that we had a batch. So I am guessing they have skipped a batch again going from A - C. We seem to be skipping quite a few in the UK since Asda took over from Morrisons. They don't seem to be doing as good a job with them. Well I am currently up to batch E as I get them shipped from USA now. But I will have a nose next time I happen to swing by just in case I notice any variations at all.

:) :D :P

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”