LUDICROUS PRICE RISE AT ASDA

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
craig tetlow

LUDICROUS PRICE RISE AT ASDA

Postby craig tetlow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Just visited my local ASDA today and everything initially looked as it should with baskets full of Batch C stuff yntil for some reason I checked the price label. Get ready for this.... ASDA now charge £1.75 for a MBX single which is crazy considering HWs are on special offer with a 2 for £2 deal. At best they have temporarily increased the price in readiness for a fake sale as per the norm for UK retailers or they have taken the exclusive deal a little bit too seriously!!

Guran

Re: LUDICROUS PRICE RISE AT ASDA

Postby Guran » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 pm

We had a similar price rise in Australia earlier this year. The main place that stocks current Matchbox on long cards is Big W and they increased from $2.25 to $3.00 each. But at least they are bang up to date. Same price at small toy stores if they stock Matchbox.

Reject Shop gets a patchy range of year-old long cards and charge $2.00 each. They are returns from Indonesia but a good way to pick up older cars (currently getting the Skyline and Karmann Ghia from 2016).

Woolworths and Coles supermarkets get short cards and are a month or two behind Big W - they have been at $3.00 each for at least a couple years, with a clearance special of 3 for $5 a few times each year (the good stuff is long gone by then).

Hot Wheels? No point howling at the moon. They are far more popular, stocked by many more stores, each carrying a lot more stock (usually), and they can be priced cheaper as a result. With something like 400 cars in the HW mainline there is also an awful lot of generic fantasy rubbish clogging up the shelves. Even so it is very rare that they cost less than $2 each here. They are usually $2 at department stores, $3 at supermarkets and $3.25 at petrol stations and automotive parts stores.

BTW £1.75 is equivalent to AUD$3.00 at current exchange rates.

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 am

Yeah we had a price rise in New Zealand last year from $3.00 up to $3.49 while Hot Wheels have remained at $3.00.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:32 pm

The extraction of micturition continues. Asda have now increased the price for a single Matchbox to £1.97 or almost twice what Poundland etc are charging. Newest stock is the case G stuff that's been around for 2 months or so, with plenty of older stuff still around, so they can't blame it on the weak pound. Is it too much to hope this does herald the arrival of a new batch? My local store has just re-stocked with case G and some older models.

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 am

That is truly ridiculous, seems they are taking their exclusivity deal a bit too seriously!! Apart from collectors how many parents are going to spent nearly £2 for an item theyve seen in the Pound stores for half the price! Having said that, I have noticed a sharp price increase of bssic Hot Wheels singles in certain retailers so maybe thats how things are going with exchange rates etc? Ill email ASDA and report back their reply but at this rate I shall be spending most of my diecast money elsewhere especially if they cant be relied on to not miss batches and take too long introducing new ones!!

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm in Australia and thankfully just collect the one make, I pay anywhere from $3.75 AUD (2.31 GBP or $3 USD) down to $1 AUD if I hit a good sale, usually around the $2 mark, if I was being a more thorough collector I think I would have started buying sealed cases by now and selling off the excess.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 am

It is pretty sad that in November last year, Asda was right up to date bringing out batch A of 2017 almost the same time as they were first surfacing in USA. Since then, we have seen 2 more batches in 10 months. That is really poor showing. For a series that gets a new batch once a month, to only have 2 new batches in 10 is giving us way too many headaches. Hopefully they will be pulled from being the "only" supplier of Matchbox in the UK as they are ruining it. I quoted "only" as Poundland etc are bringing them in via different means, and to be honest doing a much better job.

:) :D :P

blue

Postby blue » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

I was in a Asda local to where I work and they had singles at £1:97, so much for rolling back the prices!

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”