Confused in the USA

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
Raman

Confused in the USA

Postby Raman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 am

My 4 year old son loves his cars as I did at his age and his mom started to buy him HotWheels and I started to wonder if Matchbox still existed. So I read up and learned that they are now part of Mattel and it appears that here in the US they take a backseat to HotWheels. I still think the Matchbox cars look better than HotWheels so I prefer to find those for my son.

Since they are hard to come by, I purchased the 50 car box set a couple of years ago.. much to my disappointed was filled with a lot of what I find obnoxious items!

To confuse matters further, the matchbox website is a complete joke, does not even list cars on there.. so my best bet is to search amazon.

That is what brings me here.. what is the best way to find out what are the latest releases from matchbox. Is there a UK site? a perhaps secret site? 8-)

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Confused in the USA

Postby David Tilley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 am

You may have come to the right place. You are right in that the official places to go are not great at listing what is actually out there. So I have taken it upon myself to create a series of lists telling you what is available. If you go to the main menu of this site, look for the forum that is marked up "David Tilley's listings" and in that forum will be a complete list of the last 10 years or so of Matchbox released. Each year I create a basic range list (or sometimes 2 during times of range splitting between the North American/Australasian domestic long card markets known as USA for ease and other markets who take the international short, known as ROW for ease of use), and then a secondary list of all the other ranges. I also do a third list marking down known variations throughout a particular year. I also create various other lists that may or may not be useful.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I am always here to help (as are many here). I know what you mean with the amount of generic models of late (known as Matchbox originals by Mattel), but as was announced this year at the 2017 Gathering in Albuquerque in July, next year will see much more realistic licensed content, as well as a higher spec range being launched with opening features, which hopefully will bring the brand out of the shadows and more into the spotlight. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a great future for the brand.

:) :D :P

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:19 am

Welcome, it seems that Mattel’s distribution is terrible everywhere!

David’s listings are the best as they are kept up to date and list by batch which is helpful for hunting.

The other place I find useful is the Wikia pages as they have pictures. Search for Matchbox wikia and the year you’re interested in.

Guran

Postby Guran » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:17 am

The BAMCA website is brilliant for photos and details of all Matchbox models. Here is a link to the 2017 range.
http://www.bamca.org/cgi-bin/lineup.cgi ... THE+MODELS
Unsurprisingly David Tilley is credited with all these photos.

CharlieMack

Postby CharlieMack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:40 am

FREE Sample to those reading this post of Matchbox USA. Club just celebrated our 40th anniversary. Email me your name & address at Matchbxusa@aol.com

Charlie Mack, editor

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

https://matchbox175.wordpress.com/

is a great site as well for all the yearly lists

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”