HOLIER THAN HOLY GRAIL FOUND K44!!!

The place to discuss all those larger scale Matchbox like the King Size, Sea Kings, Speed Kings or the Super Kings ranges
Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

HOLIER THAN HOLY GRAIL FOUND K44!!!

Postby Matt79 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:07 pm

The other day I was browsing eBay when I came across a K44 Bridge Layer. It was mint in a relatively near mint to mint box. Anyhoo I took a chance and it's paid off. It's in brilliant condition and to have survived 33 years with hardly a mark is excellent, considering it's size. It is just how I would want it to be.

I took a few pictures once I calmed down.

The rear of the box.

Size comparison to a standard 1-75 Matchbox. As you can see it's a fair size.

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: HOLIER THAN HOLY GRAIL FOUND K44!!!

Postby adbutler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Wow, great score Matt. Look at all that 'play value'. :mrgreen:
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 am

As a kid, I used to want this set. But it was too expensive for my parents to get for me, so I never got it. I did remember seeing it in stores a few times then, but there was no way I could ever save enough pocket money for it. I have contemplated it since, but it just would not fit in with what I collect now so I never bothered. But I have to admit it is a nice piece.

There is one thing though. I want to see the set completely built up. Not the box it came in.

:) :D :P

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 pm

You may get your wish David. I shall try and brave it. By the looks of the sides it's never been out of the box.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Here you go David. I was nervous unfolding it I can tell you. It had definitely been stored for a while.

The plastic tray had no splits.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:17 pm

adbutler wrote:Wow, great score Matt. Look at all that 'play value'. :mrgreen:

Yes it has immense play value. With all the parts this must have been an expensive toy at the time as David says. There are around 100 parts to this set. Nothing like Mattels strangling cost cutting 4 part rule. To think that around 1981, when this was released, Lesney were starting on an all down hill road to bankruptcy.

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Now that's what I am talking about. I can imagine having loads of fun with that. I think the idea is that you should cut out the picture on the back of the box, and use it for the bridge to go over. It looks like it has the markings on it for where to put the bridge support columns.

I also feel you need to fill it up with vehicles going over it for the full-on experience. I'm not asking too much? Cut up the box and fill the bridge with vehicles? Ha ha! But seriously, it does make for one fantastic little set. Now the basic range was easy to market. All vehicles were made to the same 3" size, and sold in the same size box at the same price point. Superkings were all over the place. Larger cars, trucks, and vehicles all made to more of a scale and sold at varying price points. I think this must have been about the most expensive set they ever made in the Superkings range. I used to like it because it was compatible with the miniatures. By then I had pretty much lost interest in most of the larger models anyway. I still picked up a few of the cars for a while in the Superkings range, but most of what I wanted was larger vehicles that worked with the smaller ones. I had the Car Transporter because it held 5 miniatures, and I played with that a lot. But I had very little else from the SK range.

Thanks for showing it off though. That was a great trip down memory lane, as I used to fantasize as a kid having that set and setting it up like that. I remember holding it in a store in Northampton called Watts. The store is still there, but they do not sell toys any more. When I was younger they had a massive toy section. At first it was on the floor as you came in the store, and you would walk behind the stairs that went down to the basement, and the toy department was in the back half. This was where I remember holding this set. It was on the shelf, and I picked it up, and my Mother took it off me, put it back and told me not at that price. Shortly after, the re-configured the store and the toy department became the downstairs basement area. Up until the late 1980s, they still had the counter revolving Matchbox display with the 75 models shown from the mid-1970s. When they closed the toy section I never asked what they were doing with that display. I bet they chucked it.

Ah look at me, reminiscing.

:) :D :P

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:43 pm

You're quite welcome David. I might take a picture with some cars on it. I think its meant for superking size vehicles.

I remember in 1994 when we went to Scotland for the day. On the way home we stopped at a little village (can't remember the name). I had just started collecting Matchbox in that year. Anyhoo i popped into a news agent and when i went through the door there was a huge turntable of early 80's light blue boxes hung on it. There must have been 100 or more. I was in heaven but only had money to buy a couple being a skint 15 year old.

In 2001 we went on holiday to Wales. A couple of miles up the road there was a yard full of old disused truck trailers. Right at the front there was an old, presumably 1970's, silver trailer with the huge matchbox orange, red and yellow lozenge on it. I remember thinking 'i wonder what the last delivery looked like in that truck' or is there anything in it.

keefyd
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby keefyd » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 pm

And taking Matt as an example and £151 later, I too have just got a MIB K-44 Bridge Layer - was £67 up to 30sec before the auction ended and some tosser jacked it up to £138!! Luckily instinct told me to just go high and thus won at £140.

A lot of money for a 30+ year old model - but with the crap the Mattel are putting out this is worth more than the Gold Bus.

If only mbx64 knew what proper Matchbox was.............

F**king happy at the moment - although that was a wedge!
http://www.matchbox1-75.co.uk - UK Matchbox Superfast 1-75 Miniatures from 1969 to date.

https://keefydblog.wordpress.com - blogging about diecast, sport and stuff.

94SS
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby 94SS » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 am

Very Nice guys...I inherited this set from my dad after he passed....I could never afford it either. Never opened it. But it is on display in my toy room/basement:)

Jeff

Return to “King Size”