New BattleKings for my Collection

The place to discuss all those larger scale Matchbox like the King Size, Sea Kings, Speed Kings or the Super Kings ranges
shanman56

New BattleKings for my Collection

Postby shanman56 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Yesterday some new additions arrived for my BattleKings collection. Besides taking 6 days to travel 80 miles to my house via the USPS, I am beyond pleased with the (3) toys that arrived from seller RWCToys.

He pretty much had the entire set of BK(s) used for the 1974 dealer catalog photo shoot, which shows all Pre-Pro and prototype models. He had listed some as such (pre-pro etc..) but did not list them all as being special in any way…..But they were!

I ended up with (3) Very Special early design castings that are probably from a small group produced at the time back in 1972 or 1973. I will post photos of them later on tonight, but here is a description of them starting with the BK-102.

This BK-102 M48 Tank has the typical early light yellowish bright metallic green paint, but it is very wet looking and feeling. The driver is peach colored, the end/drive rollers are the “toothed” type molded in dark brown plastic and the tracks are black. The rest of the rollers (Idler) are a deep dark green color plastic that is far different from all other rollers found on production models. It has (2) Olive green star labels on the turret, instead of (1) bright green star label on the front facing surface of the lower body. The REAL SURPRISE was finding that the base has NO KEY HOLE slot for locking into the packaging and all the base text is centered with a 1973 date!!!! This tank is really early in production to be sure! All other BK-102s that I own, even an Olive green color trial model, all have bases with Key Holes and 1974 on the base (with the centered text being moved to each side of the Key).

Next is the BK-103 Chieftain Tank in Metallic Green. This model is very similar to the first production models, but it has black tracks, brown “toothed” cog end rollers and the dark green Idler rollers. I have never seen any production models with rollers in these colors…they are all Pre-Productions.

Lastly is a BK-108 M3 Half-Track in metallic green and without any labels. The casting itself seems to be sort of rough/less finished than production examples. This truck seemed to be purely stock when I first started to check it out, but alas, it was not normal at all! The rollers all have cut/crimped axles AND the base has NO KEY HOLE slot like the BK-102! The base is a much lighter charcoal brown color than production models as well. The area where the Key Hole is supposed to be located is all textured like diamond plate steel.

This gentleman had many of these for sale in his store and many sold for hundreds of $$$, but I purchased all 3 of these for $87 shipped! I think that I added 10X that in value to my collection….at least! I just wished that I had the funds to buy the Gold painted Tiger tank or the “Kentucky” labeled Sherman tank amongst others. If you want to see them for yourself….search “Battleking” in completed items sorted by highest first OR you can just pull out the 1974 dealer catalog to see some of them.
Shan-man

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: New BattleKings for my Collection

Postby Matt79 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes, can't wait to see the photos thanks. Very interesting.

shanman56

Postby shanman56 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Here are some pictures of my score.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Brilliant. Thanks for showing. They are real gems. Without the holes too to keep the model in place and a 1973 copywrite date on the tank. :D

adbutler
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby adbutler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for showing, they look great. I just love the art work on the boxes.
MAJORETTE..... this is how a 3inch diecast vehicle is made Mattel!

shanman56

Postby shanman56 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:34 am

I Love the artwork as well and is part of the reason why I like older Matchbox so much!

I have at least one example of most anything Matchbox military related. They are really cool to display and always draw the attention of visitors to my home.

Return to “King Size”