Some New Kings 26th June 16

The place to discuss all those larger scale Matchbox like the King Size, Sea Kings, Speed Kings or the Super Kings ranges
Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Some New Kings 26th June 16

Postby Matt79 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:57 am

It's been ages since I last bought a King so I've been naughty and bought these two beauties. As per the norm I love the artwork.

Ghosthunter

Re: Some New Kings 26th June 16

Postby Ghosthunter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Delicious!

Ghosthunter.

jagr68uk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby jagr68uk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:07 am

The Surtees was released at the same time as the Martini Brabham BT44. Those were the days when they could get away with realistic cigarette and alcohol sponsorship liveries on toys. Although these two models weren't quite up to the sane standards as the almost similarly scaled Corgi F1 cars they certainly joined my miniature starting grid.

It was such a shame that "MATCHBOX" didn't release a decent replica of either the company sponsored F2 car from 72 or any of the F1 cars - especially the early 74 liveried Surtees - in either the 1-75 or Super Kings ranges. The closest they got was the rare first version Tean Marchbox casting in yellow. The 74 F1 car was reproduced in plastic kit form though, albeit in the mid season Bang & Olufsen colours.

As an aside, although cigarette and alcohol logos have been banned on toys for many years now, Tyco perhaps made a bit of an error that they seemingly got away with by reproducing Miller beer logos on the front wings of the "MATCHBOX" F1 Lotus released as a miniature in 1995.

Matt79
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Matt79 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:38 pm

jagr68uk wrote:The Surtees was released at the same time as the Martini Brabham BT44. Those were the days when they could get away with realistic cigarette and alcohol sponsorship liveries on toys. Although these two models weren't quite up to the sane standards as the almost similarly scaled Corgi F1 cars they certainly joined my miniature starting grid.

It was such a shame that "MATCHBOX" didn't release a decent replica of either the company sponsored F2 car from 72 or any of the F1 cars - especially the early 74 liveried Surtees - in either the 1-75 or Super Kings ranges. The closest they got was the rare first version Tean Marchbox casting in yellow. The 74 F1 car was reproduced in plastic kit form though, albeit in the mid season Bang & Olufsen colours.

As an aside, although cigarette and alcohol logos have been banned on toys for many years now, Tyco perhaps made a bit of an error that they seemingly got away with by reproducing Miller beer logos on the front wings of the "MATCHBOX" F1 Lotus released as a miniature in 1995.

It would be great to get real livery in the Matchbox line now. The golden era is well and truely over thats for sure.

Return to “King Size”