Frustrated in the UK

The place to discuss all thing related to Mattel era Matchbox vehicles. That is all miniatures from 1997 till today
William

Re: Frustrated in the UK

Postby William » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks Deuceydog.

Does sound promising and good of Asda to send a 'proper' reply rather than a fob off.

I would however question the statement on Hot Wheels. As a collector of these too their does currently seem to be a distribution issue with these as well (and not just at Asda).

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 am

Yes thank you Deuceydog for being so proactive. Ive thought about emailing Asda myself for ages but being typically British I like to moan about it rather than actually doing something about it! Lol
I just need to email pretty much all of our major retailers and ask them what posessed them all to ditch realistic and licensed offerings from Realtoy, Maisto and Suntoys etc and replace them with those truly awful generic models produced by HTI/Teamsterz. Not even young children are buying them yet they are EVERYWHERE now!!! :-(

David Tilley
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby David Tilley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes I was thinking of emailing Asda myself. Maybe we still should. The more people asking them/bugging them, the more they will think there is something to adding more Matchbox related products. I mean, there are the specials (Camo series etc, I really hope they get the Mercedes set in next year), the Color Changers stuff, and when 2018 rolls around we will be getting the new Matchbox+ stuff coming too, and I hope it lands in the UK.

:) :D :P

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Ive noticed ASDA have reduced the price of MBX singles to a much more reasonable £1.50 hopefully suggesting they have been listening to U.K. collectors and are also trying to move old stock in readiness for 2018. Lets wait and see what happens.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 pm

My local ASDA has done the same so I guess it levels the playing field a bit, though HW still on "rollback" at £1.00. Hopefully though it will help the existing stock sell through. Nothing new at Poundland locally, apart from more fewer Matchbox and more Teamsterz and similar rubbish, anyone seen anything better?

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Those generic Teamsterz look even cheaper and more horrid than the previous lot which is saying something, why are so many of our retailers stocking them when it seems noone wants to actually buy them!!
Nothing new on the Matchbox front sadly though one of my local Poundland stores has just filled its diecast pegs with Hot Wheels stock which dates as far back as 1998 and upto around 2011. All in the usual long U.S. cards, no idea where they have come from, shame its not similar aged Matchbox too ;-)

ManBurning

Postby ManBurning » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 am

Some interesting 3 packs in Home Bargains but other than that it’s quiet for me locally

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm

5 packs are coming this week to LIDL or ALDI. sorry cant remember which one

craig tetlow

Postby craig tetlow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 am

Its Lidl who will be offering these up to date five packs and makes a mockery of the so called exclusive deal ASDA has. Poundworld, Poundland, Home Bargains and TK Maxx all sell MBX abeit usually older stuff but not much older than the stale stock at ASDA and are noticeably cheaper! Lidl will be selling three different sets at just £5.99 each or 2 for £10 against ASDAs £7.49!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Sets were in my local Lidl this morning; their website shows seven sets though I'm not sure all were in stock. They're the same sets that have been in Asda for a few weeks, but, as Craig points out, considerably cheaper. Models have date codes K24 which means they're relatively new stock and not something dredged out of a warehouse somewhere half-way round the world. So are Lidl getting their stock from their parent company in Germany or are Matchbox/Mattel supplying them from the UK? If the latter, then the exclusive deal with Asda presumably only applies to single models (which would account for the 3 packs that have turned up in Home Bargains and TK Max) - was this always to be so or does it recognise that Asda aren't getting the hoped-for sales? And if the former, then, Mr Lidl, how about some single models?!

Return to “Mattel Era (1997 - now)”